More Ecoboost Ford Raptor evidence for 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange... it only put down stock numbers on the engine dyno... And its not like we'd ever mod it or anything.

It's was 'stock' but not run in stock configuration plus it was tuned for race gas. I would bet it was pushing at least 450hp/550tq.

Google pics of the engine compartment and you will see what I'm talking about. I don't remember his screen name but a guy on here crewed for the Eco guys and said he was pouring race gas into it. If it was tuned for race gas then it was running at LEAST 100hp more than stock and potentially as much as 200tq more than stock. There is zero chance it was running race gas and stock power numbers.

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's was 'stock' but not run in stock configuration plus it was tuned for race gas. I would bet it was pushing at least 450hp/550tq.

Google pics of the engine compartment and you will see what I'm talking about. I don't remember his screen name but a guy on here crewed for the Eco guys and said he was pouring race gas into it. If it was tuned for race gas then it was running at LEAST 100hp more than stock and potentially as much as 200tq more than stock. There is zero chance it was running race gas and stock power numbers.

In the video Ford Dyno'ed it again before they tore it down. I guess the simulated 165k miles and dyno showed no degradation in performance.
I bet an E85 tune could put out some serious power too.
Anyhow, basic mods and a turbo v6 will blow the doors off of a 6.2.
Now for the same price, i'd rather have a 6.2. Easier to mod...
But if the v6 were a cheaper option on the Raptor I'd be all over it. Use the money I save to buy mods to smoke the rest of you.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the video Ford Dyno'ed it again before they tore it down. I guess the simulated 165k miles and dyno showed no degradation in performance.

I bet an E85 tune could put out some serious power too.

Anyhow, basic mods and a turbo v6 will blow the doors off of a 6.2.

Now for the same price, i'd rather have a 6.2. Easier to mod...

But if the v6 were a cheaper option on the Raptor I'd be all over it. Use the money I save to buy mods to smoke the rest of you.

They didn't Dyno it on race gas so it's a moot point.

Either way it's about racing wallets and there are some pretty big wallets out there.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know guys who have put 35 on their eboosts , Lifted them to fit etc. Basically tried to make them look like a raptor. Their mpg was terrible and the turbos were always spooling. They still went great and towed better than a raptor but didn't didn't get better mpg.

wvaboy

Reaction score
f150 ecoboost
"4 by 2 is 4,938 lb., and the weight of the 4 by 4 is 5,140 lb"
365 @ 5000 rpm (3.5L EcoBoost®)
420 @ 2500 rpm (3.5L EcoBoost®)

raptor is 6016lbs
411 HP @ 5500 RPM
405 BHP @ 5500 RPMTorque434 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM

Other than price, you are comparing apples to prunes....the raptor is 1000lbs heavier right out of the gate. Fair comparison would be towing something behind the ecoboost all the time.....not to mention you can get the raptor with a supercharger so the numbers posted above are on the bottom end for the raptor compared to top end for the ecoboost....in reality, a fair comparison the super charger numbers should be used to make a better comparison of the two.
As I stated to start with, an extra 1000lbs everyday on a v6 turbo may not be the best fit? not to mention the possibility of towing things behind it.
The raptor is perfect the way it is. You want a cheap truck to get by with that looks good and tows everyday stuff, by the ecoboost. Want to haul something heavy, turbo diesal......Want to haul ass and everyday stuff, buy the Raptor. An ecoboost would not benefit a Raptor in any way shape or form other than price.
Numbers above are facts, not opinions and numbers don't lie

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are all over the problem set before Ford's future in the light duty truck market.

I have thought the last couple years that the 6.2 doesn't have a future past the next Federal mandate mpg. Its been my concern with seeing the Raptor built past 2014 because the 6.2 is SO horrible in MPG. Ford can't go straight Eco for the next gen anyway, all for the same reasons you all have already pointed out. Ford COULD perhaps offer a couple different engine options for true offroaders and then the street queens who just like the look and suspension, almost any engine will do for them anyway, no?

But that route seems unlikely as well. Honestly, what Ford needs is a new line of gas engines that are capable of 20+mpg. The Eco and the 6.2 are probably not it, but I had a 5.4 GT500 I averaged 11 with, and my new gt500 with the 5.8 I average almost 17. So, I guess anything is possible.

The Eco my dad has averages 14.7. And he is 80 years old.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see the stock dyno sheets from an EB and a 6.2L overlaid on top of each other, I've driven both, the ecoboost is nice, it still accelerates just as fast as the raptor, but it doesn't give you the same kick in the pants on full throttle, it's just a mellow acceleration, and I'm sure after all the testing ford did with the engines they had a damn good reason they chose the 6.2L for the raptor over the ecoboost and have still not added it as an option after all these years

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THe number 1 complaint about the 6.2L is MPG's!!! That's straight from some of the calibration engineers. Ford will do something about it for sure...

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't wait until the 6.2L is on the same playing field as the 5.8L, that engine was horrible when it first came out (the original iteration of it back in the 90s), look at it now, top v-8 on the planet and the only engine over 600 horsepower that avoids the gas guzzler tax, despite European manufacturers' claims to being "advanced", the 6.2 can already get 17-18 easily if you drove it like you'd drive an ecoboost to get mpg, not long and the 6.2L will get 22-25 just as easily

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Even in a raptor