GEN 1 Moon Roof Track Exploded!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtxracer

Reaction score
FWIW when mine broke I used a T20 (I think?) Torx bit to break loose the glass mounting screws then I could position the glass back where it normally sits in the closed position and tightened the screws. Then you fix it when you can. It's still sealed and perfectly fine, you're just manually closing it but you'll have to align the glass once it's fixed. Saved me during a rainstorm.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW when mine broke I used a T20 (I think?) Torx bit to break loose the glass mounting screws then I could position the glass back where it normally sits in the closed position and tightened the screws. Then you fix it when you can. It's still sealed and perfectly fine, you're just manually closing it but you'll have to align the glass once it's fixed. Saved me during a rainstorm.

Yeah the video he says T20 Torx for removing the glass

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are there parts in there that should be lubed on occasion? I use mine all the time and so far no problems, but if I can avoid something with a little maintenance I will...

gtxracer

Reaction score
That's a good question - I haven't seen why they fail. People say from not using them which makes me think the seal is getting stuck and the plastic pieces aren't up for breaking said seal. That's all I could come up with unless they just didn't engineer it to withstand some long term use. I would think the same of the rear window since the tabs break off.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine over the weekend, EricM has posted all the Url's to do this repair. You do need a rivet gun as well, other than a 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, t20,t25, 4mm allen key, phillips head screw driver, small flathead (for the tweeters,) More grease, Brake cleaner, and time. Take your time doing this, removing the headliner took 45 min, but the sunroof took 2 hours to do properly. The only thing I truly suggest in doing, in the video, the guy bench tests the sunroof to see if it is all lined up, but you still need to set your sunroof in the level closed position in the truck. So, put the sunroof assembly back in, with all the bolts and drain tubes, and then put the glass in. You then can cycle it with a 4mm allen wrench. It needs to be level and in the closed position, and, it is very difficult to know that position on a bench. Otherwise, its a good fix. Again, make sure the tracks are all the way forward. There are small padded stops they stop at, I also marked where the ends of the rotating cables were in the body by the motor for end reference.

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
Got my SunRoof Doctor Kit today...tomorrow I will replace/repair my moon roof! Saved $3800.00!

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
So are there parts in there that should be lubed on occasion? I use mine all the time and so far no problems, but if I can avoid something with a little maintenance I will...
Yes & Yes...I spoke to the SunRoof Doctor guy and he told me that in addition to lack of use causing the the track plastic pieces to stick, become brittle, bind and snap, Ford uses a petroleum based grease that also weakens the plastic parts. His kit includes a synthetic lube. FYI.

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
UPDATE and still not 100% F%§k!!!!
I finally got around to dedicate a whole afternoon and following morning to remove and reinstall my moonroof! (took my time and carefully managed not to break or scratch anything). I also watched and read before to make double sure I didn’t screw this up. I also manually tested the functions and track action prior to reinstall. I did the initial programming and it worked great for the first couple of tries. However, after trying to reprogram a second time thinking that it was not going all the way back (I did this second programming before I fully reinstalled the headliner as to see that everything was working property. The motor went to only going to vent mode and closing up on both switches. The open switch and the vent switch both work the same???? I couldn’t get it to function properly back again? The track system appears to be just fine and like I stated I bench tested it before I reinstalled it? I hope to get forum member experiences before I call the Roof Doctor for his input and also reluctantly call the Ford Dealership. I want to see if it’s a motor issue before I start searching further or go beyond. BTW., I also tried disconnecting the battery and feed cable to the motor and tried starting the initiation process several times without any change. Before I try a master reset or blame the motor wanting to brainstorm this... thanks in advance for feedback or similar issues and remedies.

Last edited:

MBspeed

Reaction score
Sounds like you have done all I would think to do. Hope some guru can chime in.

All I would know to try is to reset that logic computer that controls the whole sun roof. And you already did that.

Then letting he truck reset completely with the battery disconnected overnight and try to run the sun roof setup procedure again. And you did that as well. IDK could be a dead spot in the motor or a intermittent connection failure to the motor. But sounds like a computer problem or a aft motion limit switch of some kind. I didn’t have to dissect mine that far, sorry.

Good luck.

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
BTTT
Sorry to anyone thinking I’m beating this to a pulp. I hope those that have tackled this job, my experience and trying to offer info that will help makes it less frustrating for them.

Anyway. I’m at 98%. I spoke to the SunRoof Dr. this morning. We did the initial programming together (btw., great support and help) one thing I was doing wrong was you need to push up on the slide button not down. Seems simple enough but somehow I managed to get it to work the first time after I replaced the tracks and did the first programming. It’s just wasn’t the correct way. Anyway, the second thing I didn’t do was I was too inpatient and not holding the button long enough to start the programming. (To my defense, since I had the headliner down the first time I did this, I felt the motor was getting warm to mildly hot and I didn’t want to burn it out as I thought holding the button initially down too long might). Well not so. I pulled out too early(ever heard that before? Hahaha). Anyway, it’s openin and closing. It just needs a little more tweaking, the cables might not be completely even because it still won’t completely close on its own as a one touch action. (Even though I double checked this off the truck before I installed it back) So there it is. Lesson learned. Be more patient and make triple sure the cables and distances the on track are “exactly even” this thing is super sensitive and a really big PITA! Next time I’m sticking with a hard TOP!

Last edited: