Modded White 6.2 in Orange County, CA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did find the online store that sells the HDS-7m Touch for $999, no shipping, no tax. Keep in mind the Gen 2 series requires a "powered" ext antenna if you want one. This ext antenna is $110 more than the standard ext antenna. So expect to pay about $199.

Also, you can spend another $200 and get a Lowrance WiFi base station for the truck. This allows you to see a duplicate display on a smartphone or tablet. The Gen 2 devices can not only be viewed, but also controlled by a tablet (not smartphone). Guess this is a bigger deal for a large boat, but still cool for driver and copilot.

You don't need the large 7" unit to use the WiFi adapter, any Gen 2 supports this feature.

Go forth and spend...

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...<clip> Go forth and spend...

I've got the "spending" process down pretty good, it's finding time to do the dang installs that elude me!

I really like the idea of adding in the WiFi base as the majority of the Lowrance usage would be mapping roads and trails on the ranch with the wife. Using a iPad mini would make it much more appealing to her.

Good advice, thanks.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the "spending" process down pretty good, it's finding time to do the dang installs that elude me!

I really like the idea of adding in the WiFi base as the majority of the Lowrance usage would be mapping roads and trails on the ranch with the wife. Using a iPad mini would make it much more appealing to her.

Good advice, thanks.

I'm planning on adding an iPad mini to my setup once they release the iPad mini with retina display. I have two iPads now, one with WiFi and 3G I use sometimes with MotionX GPS. Although I normally just use my Lowrance Elite-5m Baja. Hoping to upgrade to the Gen 2 Touch this summer.

I like Tizz's comment that he can reach the HDS-7 without leaning forward, using the RPG GPS mount. I'm currently using the Outlaw Raptor mount.

OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on adding an iPad mini to my setup once they release the iPad mini with retina display. I have two iPads now, one with WiFi and 3G I use sometimes with MotionX GPS. Although I normally just use my Lowrance Elite-5m Baja. Hoping to upgrade to the Gen 2 Touch this summer.

I like Tizz's comment that he can reach the HDS-7 without leaning forward, using the RPG GPS mount. I'm currently using the Outlaw Raptor mount.

And when harnessed in, you don't even have the luxury of leaning forward!

I also like the idea of a wifi base station. Since I don't have front airbags, it would be cool to throw an iPad in the passenger airbag compartment.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats a really good idea with the ipad but maybe throw another gps instead haha well i guess an ipad is cheaper so that would work lol

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats a really good idea with the ipad but maybe throw another gps instead haha well i guess an ipad is cheaper so that would work lol

Here's my thoughts on a second GPS vs. iPad:

Pros:
- it costs more
- you'd have to load and initiate the gpx file on both units for each trip
- if you needed an ext antenna, you would need one for each unit
- an iPad has a larger screen
- if you take an iPad Otterbox and attach the snap in holder/cover to your truck (drill holes in holder and screw into GPS bracket), then install the Otterbox case on the iPad, you can easily snap the iPad in and out of the mount. This gives you the option of using the iPad as an iPad. How often are you off road using your Lowrance GPS anyway?? More bang for your buck in my opinion. This also leaves the Otterbox case on the iPad for extra protection.
- if your not off road, the passenger could play Angry Birds on the iPad

Cons:
- it doesn't display as crisply during bright sunlight
- your co-pilot might watch **** instead of watching the road

That's all folks...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cream on the inside, clean on the outside, raptor tuned up like a nascar pit stop.

y6adepy6.jpg

e6yquzez.jpg

Last edited:

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell yea looks good. Can't wait to get mine on. Get it dirty this weekend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2