Metal rattle sound from suspension area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typr04

Reaction score
Anyone know what this sound could be when going over bumps? Front left suspension area (I think).

Dealer said no to sway bar end links. No to the brakes. No to everything. They thought it was a skid plate or heat shield, so I had them take it all off and still makes this sound. Now they are trying to tell me this sound is normal because they can’t figure it out. ‍ So I left it at the dealer until they can pin point the noise and fix it.

And obviously I don’t know either because I’m here asking. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9811.MOV
    8.2 MB

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
That sounds like the IWE to me. Likely a bad solenoid or vacuum check valve. It’s a common failure especially on new trucks!(?)

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my 2019. She’s in for service now and it was in fact IWE. Covered under warranty.

Attachments

• IWE 2.pdf
    157.8 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
Go under the truck (not jacked up) and grab the sway bar end link; pull forward/backward on it to feel for play in the ball joint part of the link. If there is any movement, it’s failed.
Ok. I will try that. The dealer said no it wasn’t it. And they’ve replaced them twice already under warranty with the last one being 4000 miles ago.

dave_g

Reaction score
I had a thunk over small bumps- found out last week was a broken coil spring. has been driving me nuts for a few months. I spend a fair amount of time under the truck- but never looked at the coil spring- neither did the shop I took it to.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
I had a thunk over small bumps- found out last week was a broken coil spring. has been driving me nuts for a few months. I spend a fair amount of time under the truck- but never looked at the coil spring- neither did the shop I took it to.
Right on. I’ll ask if they can inspect it then. Still no update.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Dealer should call me next week and let me know what ghost fix they “did” this time to fix it. I’ll reply once I find out! Thanks
My Gen 2 has been in the service department for 8 days now re IWE grinding, exhaust rattle, transmission reprogram, and a second driver air bag replacement for yet another torn cover (all under warranty). $900 so far out of pocket on a rental they said I’d get reimbursed for in the future. I’ve extended the rental 3 times in a row listening to the “should be ready by [insert first day of the week that comes to mind]”. But get this…the Enterprise Rental is at the dealer. So I drove there this morning in the rented F150 Platinum they gave me (that’s been abused so much by renters that one of the rear tail light assemblies flaps against the body panel) and popped in to see the service advisor. Oh the look of surprise on his face. Tells me that “everything” has been diagnosed and he is going to reach out to Ford to get the go ahead to do the repairs under warranty, get me reimbursed for the rental, and it should be ready by Friday along with the new brakes and KO2’s I also requested. I think it’s safe to say I’ll be extending my rental again and I’m certainly not betting on Ford reimbursing a significant portion of the $1000+ I will have spent by the time she’s ready. Great success

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
OK, so dealer just called me. They had every tech at their dealer drive it and try to isolate the issue. After being in the shop for a week they finally said they believe they found the cause. They said it was a faulty brake caliper slide pin that rattles over bumps. So that needed to be replaced. I go tomorrow to test drive her and pick her up. But as of right now that now seems to be the fix. If there are no more updates then that was the cause of the front left suspension rattle. Hopefully this will help other people with the similar sound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter