Lump in steering wheel, driver seat not heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I will expire my 36k mile warranty this week and want to get these two items fixed.

1st. At the 4-5 o'clock position of the back of the steering wheel there is about a 1"x1/2" lumpy area beneath the leather. Not sure if/how they will address this. Odd that I only discovered it a few months ago, now it kind of bugs me. Anyone had an issue like this? Did they replace the wheel?

2nd. Driver seat heater is not working. I checked the passenger side and it seemed to heat, measured temps with an infrared thermometer. Just odd.

Timing sucks, planning on hitting the beach for Thanksgiving, hopefully the dealer can verify the issues and let me take the truck until next week. I do have ESP with rental coverage, I think it pays $60-70 per day. Last time they used Enterprise, I would imagine they will have slim pickings for rentals during the holiday though.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, get it looked at now. I’m 2 months from the 3 year mark and she just went in for moon roof and door latch; front passenger side.

I would miss that heated seat right away, especially this time of year.

Are you sure the steering wheel isn’t the heated wheel element? You can see it snake around the wheel under the leather.

I hate to admit this, but... I kind of like the heated steering wheel. There... I typed it.
it feels good to get that off my chest. I’m ok with heated motorcycle gloves or grips, but have eschewed heated steering wheels for years. But I have to admit, heading out at zero-dark-hundred with a comfortably warm truck is aces.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
yeah, get it looked at now. I’m 2 months from the 3 year mark and she just went in for moon roof and door latch; front passenger side.

I would miss that heated seat right away, especially this time of year.

Are you sure the steering wheel isn’t the heated wheel element? You can see it snake around the wheel under the leather.

I hate to admit this, but... I kind of like the heated steering wheel. There... I typed it.
it feels good to get that off my chest. I’m ok with heated motorcycle gloves or grips, but have eschewed heated steering wheels for years. But I have to admit, heading out at zero-dark-hundred with a comfortably warm truck is aces.

Heated wheel is nice, the seat though is amazing. I do see the element wrapped under the leather. The lump feels like a piece of foam was sowed up under the leather, really just a minor annoyance.

So, today I went to Maxwell Ford, waited about 20 minutes to talk to an adviser, he shrugs and says they can't look at it until who knows when, he said all the dealers are swamped. Can't get a rental/loaner until truck is diagnosed and deemed to be in need of repair. Great. I plead my case about being out of warranty by end of week, can he at least write it up. He shrugs again. No dice.

Called Ford 800 number, got disconnect once, then got through to someone, they connected me back to the same dealer, supposed to be a 3 way call but the customer service person apparently dropped off the call. lol. Waste of time.

I was scrambling around trying to figure out what I was going to do, supposed to go to the beach Wednesday. Started going through my mental rolodex, very few cards mind you, but I remember there's another baseball dad at my kid's high school that is the finance guy at a dealer in a smaller town about 45 minutes away. I dig up his email and plead my case, ask for a favor, etc. I get a call from the service manager and we have come up with a plan that will work. He say's don't worry about anything. What a relief. I was checking the Premium ESP I have, it does not cover the seat heater or the steering wheel.

Assuming it goes well, they have won my business going forward.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it pays to know someone.

apparently my local dealer’s answer to all things moon roof is “replace the track assembly”. Good news: there’s only a day wait for moon roof repairs, parts and labor.
Bad news: there are so many F150 moon roof repairs that they have stock of moon roof track assemblies and have contracted the repairs out. So there’s no permanent fix to the busted/rattling moon roof.

Good luck with the new dealer, hopefully they get you squared away.

lighting54

Reaction score
Same issue with the steering wheel and heated seat.

I was one of those guys that bought the 2018 that paid a premium over MSRP which was about two years ago. But after two weeks of ownership notice I noticed the steering wheel having deformity issues brought it back to the same dealer of purchase Lorenzo Ford in Homestead brought it to the service advisor's attention it took two weeks for them to authorize the replacement and tons of photos.

I never had a need to put the heated seats on living in South Florida. But the doctor told me to use a heating pad so I thought I also have heated seats in my truck why not make it to use. But it didn't work on the drivers seat only. I brought it to the dealer and they told me that the harness from the particular vendor from Ford was not right they needed to order me the right harness. Brought the vehicle back to have them put in the new harness, that doesn't work now they tell me they have to replace one of the modules. These F in mechanics are parts replacer's they don't know how to properly diagnostic a problem this is been an ongoing problem still.

Goflight2

Reaction score
I have the exact drivers side heated seat issue. Third time back to dealer, still no resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreuter

Reaction score
I also have the non working drivers side heated seat issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter