Lug Nut Swellinb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm normally pretty gentle with my nuts, but quite a few members in here have had issues with swelling. I also put on a set of McGards from Summit, when my truck was new. I figured I would avoid any hassles down the road, plus I wanted black nuts anyway.
It’s hard to take your nuts serious without them swaying, lol

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. I think where I bought my wheels, they installed new lugs also because mine definitely do not look like that.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm normally pretty gentle with my nuts, but quite a few members in here have had issues with swelling. I also put on a set of McGards from Summit, when my truck was new. I figured I would avoid any hassles down the road, plus I wanted black nuts anyway.
That was a smart move to protect your nuts we all know how you like to use power tools.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see if my nuts swell before I take any countermeasures. I had my tires rotated at 10k and I checked them after. All fine. I will do the same after each rotation. If I notice any swelling, I'll buy new nuts. If not, the old ones will go away when the truck does. Is Ford still using this design?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see if my nuts swell before I take any countermeasures. I had my tires rotated at 10k and I checked them after. All fine. I will do the same after each rotation. If I notice any swelling, I'll buy new nuts. If not, the old ones will go away when the truck does. Is Ford still using this design?

Bold move, giving up yer nuts! ;-)

I’d rotate those tires a bit more frequently, the fronts get chewed up on the inside, seemingly every other inside lug on the tire.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bold move, giving up yer nuts! ;-)

I’d rotate those tires a bit more frequently, the fronts get chewed up on the inside, seemingly every other inside lug on the tire.
You're right. I just noticed that they're starting to hum at 16k. I feel kinda bad having DT rotate them for free since I didn't buy them there, but I have bought a lot of tires from them over the years ... Yeah, I could do it myself but I'm old and I have a bad back, so lifting 90lb out in front of me is always a little scary. So screw it. If they ruin my nuts, I'm over it. :)