Lug Nut Swellinb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Anyone’s OEM lug nuts have a swelling problem? Getting mine replaced at dealer right now because the lug nuts are swelled up and the wrench cannot fit around them. Not super expensive to replace but pretty crazy to me. Guy said it’s due to temp and moisture changes? Anyone replace and have same problems later? Should i go away from OEM nuts or even wheels now?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is strange. I've never had this problem on any other vehicle platform.

Even the race cars and what not that I have driven. And of course that area, near the braking system, would get very warm.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced them on my 2019 Raptor with McGards from Summit Racing. $119 for the set in black and I kept them for my 2021 Raptor. Well worth it to not have to hassle with the outer shell spinning on the OEM nuts and then chiseling them off. Someone here had to do it on a bunch and it sold me on the McGards.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its normal. the oem lugs are a 19mm with the chrome shell around them making them a 21mm. heat definitely plays a role. mine swelled like crazy after i started testing tires due to my brakes getting red hot. i swapped to solid lugs with the same size as the oem lugs. i didnt like how most of the lugs have a smaller shoulder than the oem

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The factory lugs on my Raptor swelled and warp to FUCKle when you try to beat a socket onto them, the same thing with the cheapa$$ factory lugs on my Wrangler. Don't go back to stock. Can't believe oem would produce this cheap crap still.