Low Oil Pressure Warning, But No Low Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Coyote Raptor

Coyote Raptor

Reaction score
The oil level is all good. It hasn't been an issue since it happened. So I guess I will keep an eye on it, and take it in if it happens again. I will let y'all know. Thanks for your help.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be a rash of these… just happened to me twice. And of course I was almost 100 miles away from home when it happened.

Was accelerating onto the highway on ramp to merge and all of a sudden it felt like it died, but was probably just the engine dumping the boost and fuel when the sensor triggered (at least it appears to be the sensor). Big red ”ZERO OIL PRESSURE” warning flashed and gauge showed nothing (but I don’t have the # readout, just the bar).

Stayed off to the side, and fortunately there was another exit right there, so I just coasted off (didn’t use the throttle) and as soon as I was clear shut off the motor.

Popped the hood, and checked the oil level…looks perfect. No leaks, no smell of burning metal, oil, etc. WTF? I checked over everything again and decided to restart the motor…no codes, no warnings…nothing. Everything was fine, so I continued home.

About 3 or so miles from home I was coming off a rural back road onto the state highway that leads to where we live, so I had to once again get on the throttle to merge…a lot of very fast traffic. Boom! Same thing…

Seemed to be driving fine so I just continued this time, and now it’s once again reading fine…. Oil level good, no leaks that I can discern, no warnings. Again WTf?

@FordTechOne Any ideas? I’m taking it to the dealer as soon as my wife gets home, so she can pick me up, but any input appreciated.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir… Kind of my suspicion as well; greatly appreciate your time.

Kind of secretly hoping it’s the oil pump; still under warranty but just rolled over 76K miles and it’d be nice to (potentially) get a bottom end refresh before that’s gone.

At the dealer now waiting for my wife to pick me up so we can head out for date night! Earliest they can look at it is Monday, but at least the ball’s rolling.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got the truck back today, they said they couldn’t find anything wrong. :bs:

They did update the ECU (a recall I never got a notice on), and said the second cam phaser replacement I had last year would likely have to be reaccomplished…so a 3rd time! WTF?

Regardless, they test drove it (burning 1/3 tank of gas in the process) but said the issue didn’t pop up. So I drove it the long way home, topped off the tank, and drove a little farther on top of that…a few times at WOT to see if it would happen, and it was all good.

Then, about 3 miles from home, punching it to accelerate onto a State highway in front of traffic:

i-ZxhQrBM-4K.jpg

:flame:

So now I get to waste another 1/2 day driving back into town to drop it off again…. Not happy.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One would hope.
As stated above… twice each time it happened.

I also check my oil at least once per month, usually every time I fill up if it’s more than 1/2 tank since I have the time... along with the air filter, etc. Also rotate my tires and check the brake pads every 3 months regardless of mileage, flish the brake lines every year, etc.

I’m pretty **** about preventive maintenance.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cam phasers have nothing to do with a low oil pressure issue.

If the sump draws in air, the engine will lose oil pressure momentarily. Checking oil pressure afterward is not a valid way to determine if pressure was lost at the time that the indication came on. Did you check your oil level?
Yes…. Just above the middle of the dip stick hash marks.

Edit: Now see that your question was for someone else.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case I got that warning due to the Valve Cover being cracked and oil leaked onto the sensor harness which then ate through the coating of wiring causing the error. Yes, that was fun getting diagnosed o_O

which side/location? I didn’t see any leaks whatsoever but will pull off the engine cover and look at the top end more closely in the morning.