Loud fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Cee

Reaction score
I cant seem to find an answer. I have a 2013 First Gen woth 85,000 and when the AC is on the fans are loud. The fans only kick on when I have the ac on, when the ac is off the fans are off. Is this typical for the first gens?

I bought my truck in October when I didn't need the ac on but all summer its just been annoying.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a fan switch with different speeds so you can select. If you are in auto mode and have the climate control off and then push the a/c button and its warm inside the cab, the fans will come on at high speed most likely. If you can't adjust the fan speed, then the fan resistor is most likely shot.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the fans come on high even when the ac is on low and the temperature isn't that high.
Have you tried cleaning your radiator? I cleaned my sons radiator and there looked to be about 5 lbs of dirt come out of it (outside). It takes a lot of rinsing and soaking to dislodge the dirt. Mine never runs on high speed unless the outdoor temp is above 90f. I could count on one hand how many times i've heard the high speed fans come on in the last 11 years. I think the temperature probe is on top of the rad support. I might go take a pic, maybe yours is toast or has been relocated.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So how does your engine stay cool if the fans never come on except when the A/C is on, I bet the low speed fans are on and your just not hearing them, otherwise you would overheat.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, have you checked the A/C pressures, maybe a bad switch or system is overcharged? Is there any stickers under the hood where a tech might of added or replaced freon in the system.