GEN 2 Loss of power, under heavy accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a misfire bc the cam phaser isn’t clocking the cam correctly and you are getting an actual knock/misfire event. I had this problem and it never returned after the phaser install. A Ford tech can pull up the phaser PIDs on a diagnostic and confirm this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So...

^ Thanks for the info above. I checked my oil levels, the internal system says 54% on the dash and the dip stick says its AT minimum! I let the truck sit for 20 min after running, took a reading, cleaned it off and dipped it back in twice; says minimum on the dip STICK.

Page 322, manual.

So I have low oil, and spark plugs to do before phaser. Cheers all. Doing plugs tomorrow and I will add 5w 30 synthetic. Any specific oil you folks use?

Donovan

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how oil life is calculated - whether it is simply a percentage representation of how close you are mileage-wise to the next scheduled oil change, or if heat/engine abuse/etc. are factored in as well. Either way, I would personally err on the side of a shorter oil change interval. Plus, the oil life display on the dash doesn't have a sensor system to indicate actual oil level besides an extreme low, so it can be risky to rely on it.

In terms of oil choice, here is some information via Ford that is important to consider:

This video overviews the significance of the oil rating (SN Plus/GF5) when selecting the oil to use in your engine. These new ratings are most significant on direct injected, turbocharged engines like the Raptor. These oil ratings relate specifically to the additives used in the oil and their resistance to pre-ignition. For those familiar with GM products, you may have noticed Dexos Gen2 oils on parts store shelves - this GM rating was established for the same reasons.

If you folks want to learn more about the differences in oil and oil additives during combustion, check out this video:

But in short, use factory recommended oil that meets the oil ratings (SN Plus/GF5) for the 3.5HO engine.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, Motorcraft is cheap enough and reliable enough that its probably the best source for the Raptor.

In the German world, we hate spending 100s for an oil change at the Stealership, so we get other oils that are just as good.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how oil life is calculated - whether it is simply a percentage representation of how close you are mileage-wise to the next scheduled oil change, or if heat/engine abuse/etc. are factored in as well. Either way, I would personally err on the side of a shorter oil change interval. Plus, the oil life display on the dash doesn't have a sensor system to indicate actual oil level besides an extreme low, so it can be risky to rely on it.

In terms of oil choice, here is some information via Ford that is important to consider:

This video overviews the significance of the oil rating (SN Plus/GF5) when selecting the oil to use in your engine. These new ratings are most significant on direct injected, turbocharged engines like the Raptor. These oil ratings relate specifically to the additives used in the oil and their resistance to pre-ignition. For those familiar with GM products, you may have noticed Dexos Gen2 oils on parts store shelves - this GM rating was established for the same reasons.

If you folks want to learn more about the differences in oil and oil additives during combustion, check out this video:

But in short, use factory recommended oil that meets the oil ratings (SN Plus/GF5) for the 3.5HO engine.

The oil change light is simply a 10,000 mile warning, it isn't any smarter than that.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But the oil % analysis......what does that correlated to on the dash?

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford.

Lol. Simple, easy and yet doable. I'm learning a lot with this truck to be honest. I'll be happy after I do these plugs to take this truck up to 6k again at WOT.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford.

Lol. Simple, easy and yet doable. I'm learning a lot with this truck to be honest. I'll be happy after I do these plugs to take this truck up to 6k again at WOT.

Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk