GEN 2 Loss of power, under heavy accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
running it hard , high rpm , high load , high boost . if you putt around most of the time your plugs would last a good while .

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How is it possible to lose that much of a gap?
Spark plugs are a consumable. The electrode wears down over time. A 3.5L V6 putting out 500+hp and 600+ ft/lbs is running pretty hard and will consume plugs. Luckily they arent expensive or hard to change. I go about 20k miles per set.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Say no more. I will keep this in mind. Looks like 30k I will get another set.

Everything seems ultra responsive now, unless that is a placebo...

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say no more. I will keep this in mind. Looks like 30k I will get another set.

Everything seems ultra responsive now, unless that is a placebo...

Tightening the gap along with quicker change intervals in high load situations is always a factor with increased cylinder pressure.

Response may come from a more consistent and reliable burn.

The CJ below also runs SP-542's at .022"-.026" depending on tune, weight and other variables.

You can imagine how often we change these plugs...

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty proactive on my maintenance , that's why i go 10,000 . You don't want to wait for a misfire event , because that will happen when your trying to pass on a 2 lane road or towing. Most people find out they need plugs when towing up a steep grade and start misfiring. Very dangerous.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The check engine light came back...

Any options? Same shit, high RPMs, there is a studder and acting like it wont go into the next gear....and then check engine light flashing.

Its on the dash now and cannot be reset, I will run COBB to see what it is. Sparks have less than 2000 miles on them and gapped at .028.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The check engine light came back...

Any options? Same shit, high RPMs, there is a studder and acting like it wont go into the next gear....and then check engine light flashing.

Its on the dash now and cannot be reset, I will run COBB to see what it is. Sparks have less than 2000 miles on them and gapped at .028.

What is the code it is giving you?

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to check the code here in a bit.

I have to make an attempt to do a lil bit of work since I was a couple hours past my normal work arrival lol.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You can’t let work get in the way of important s***. Work will still be there when you get back :)