Looking for a First Gen (Preferably 13-14) Prices are Getting SO High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dino Dad

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster and new to the forum. I have wanted a Gen1 Raptor for 10+ years now. I had a cherry 1990 F-150 with 77K miles that I bought for my 40th a couple years back and then sold and made a nice profit as it was insanely clean. I sold it because it was a single cab and I have 3 kiddos.

I am back in the market finally to buy a new rig and this time I am ready to dive in to buy a Gen1 Raptor but the prices have spiked due to the microchip shortage and overall market shooting up for Gen1s. I saw a beautiful Ruby Red on Bring a Trailer sell last year that I regret not jumping on. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-ford-f-150-svt-raptor-21/

I love Ruby Red, but I don’t mind any color with the exception of silver. I prefer to get a 13/14 but if I can find a low mileage 11-12 SCREW I’d be willing to compromise. 1 to 2 owner tops is also my preference and with detailed records, as I’d expect from a Raptor owner. My price range is $30K-$36K or so.

What should I look out for when looking at prospective Rappys? I am guessing when the last rebuild was done on the shocks and how new the tires are. In Texas we don‘t have much rust to worry about.

Is there a thread with Raptors for sale here? I haven’t seen any.

Would love some tips.

Thanks in advance!
Dino Dad

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a thread for Raptors for sale near the bottom of the main threads page. I was thinking of getting a 13-14 gen1 but the prices are damn near what a 17-18 Gen 2 will go for with roughly the same mileage from what I've seen. Maybe will see a slight drop when the Gen 3 is open for orders in June.

OP
OP
Dino Dad

Dino Dad

Reaction score
@Richiemitchell yeah it’s sad that I missed the $30K to $35K bubble before the microchip debacle hit. Now that will get me an 11-12 SCREW with like 120K miles. I am still holding out faith that I can score a 13-14 with 100K to 125K miles for around $35K it will probably just not be the SE in Ruby Red and probably just a base in black or white—which I am totally ok with. Just can‘t bring myself to buy this one even though it has low miles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...oTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

There’s this one but it has a questionable sales record with 9 listings in the last 3 months. Seems too good to be true. https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FTFW1R66DFC64512/?referrer_id=autotempest

@jinskeep I’ve kept an eye on Bring a Trailer, no race red has sold let alone one with 1400 miles. That’s collector’s grade and well out of my price range.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Scour the internet my friend, look USA/Canada wide on Autotrader, etc, fly in if you have to and drive it home. Good luck on fulfilling your dream. Gen 1's are the best! There are some low mileage ones posted on here, every so often, keep looking.

RaptorKB

Reaction score
I just traded my 2020 in on a 2014 race red with only 20k miles. I’m located in your same area and just kept browsing cargurus.com filter it down to your specifications. Not sure of the service history but here is one in your area in your stated price range...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dino Dad

Dino Dad

Reaction score
Thanks @CoronaRaptor I am going to try and stay local so I don‘t have to fly. I hate flying—plus I have a wife and 3 kids and I doubt she wants me to leave her with the kids while I go buy the truck of my dreams. I am in no rush so I can wait for the one that fits my taste that is local or local-ish (drivable both ways).

@RaptorKB Thanks! Yeah I use AutoTempest to search. I did see this one. Not a fan of the front bumper mod, I prefer stock. I am a 42 year old dad so I prefer it more as a stock look as my wife will probably be driving it sometimes too. It’s already a bit much to her as it is lol. She does think they’re cool but I think a modded bumper and aggressive skid plate like that will throw her off. The second one is about $10K or so out of my price range unfortunately but it is nice. Crazy that a truck with similar specs was in the low 40s just a month or two ago, this price hike on used cars/trucks has really been insane.

BGCPrez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was contemplating selling my white 13 screw with 66k miles. I was offered $40k but was told I can probably fetch closer to $50k given the V8 and shortage. The problem is there is nothing else I want right now (want the R) and don't want to waste money on something silly for a few years just to get by.