Looking for a First Gen (Preferably 13-14) Prices are Getting SO High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13RanchRaptor

Reaction score
I am in the D/FW area, and found mine a couple months ago checking auto nation, auto trader, local car dealers, and carfax. I was getting notices from carfax on a daily basis, but could not specify Raptor only, so I kept getting pages full of regular 2013 and '14 F-150's, and then out of the blue, this one showed up in the carfax daily email of available trucks in my area. It was on the market 2 days when I bought it, with people calling about it as I was doing the paperwork. I love it so far, and I still get the notices from carfax with an occasional raptor showing up. I will let you know if a gen 1 shows up. Mine is a '13 with 71,000 miles, but your wife wouldn't like it. ;-)

Herk91

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster and new to the forum. I have wanted a Gen1 Raptor for 10+ years now. I had a cherry 1990 F-150 with 77K miles that I bought for my 40th a couple years back and then sold and made a nice profit as it was insanely clean. I sold it because it was a single cab and I have 3 kiddos.

I am back in the market finally to buy a new rig and this time I am ready to dive in to buy a Gen1 Raptor but the prices have spiked due to the microchip shortage and overall market shooting up for Gen1s. I saw a beautiful Ruby Red on Bring a Trailer sell last year that I regret not jumping on. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-ford-f-150-svt-raptor-21/

I love Ruby Red, but I don’t mind any color with the exception of silver. I prefer to get a 13/14 but if I can find a low mileage 11-12 SCREW I’d be willing to compromise. 1 to 2 owner tops is also my preference and with detailed records, as I’d expect from a Raptor owner. My price range is $30K-$36K or so.

What should I look out for when looking at prospective Rappys? I am guessing when the last rebuild was done on the shocks and how new the tires are. In Texas we don‘t have much rust to worry about.

Is there a thread with Raptors for sale here? I haven’t seen any.

Would love some tips.

Thanks in advance!
Dino Dad
First off welcome to the forum. Second off good luck on that price range….ain’t gonna happen. Theis for what your expectations are your going to pay a premium for the Raptor.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum. Second off good luck on that price range….ain’t gonna happen. Theis for what your expectations are your going to pay a premium for the Raptor.
For a low mileage raptor, you are correct. I'm currently looking for a Gen1 scab. It's tough out there! lol.

WHBD

Reaction score
I recently purchased a TB '14 SCREW with 148k(2 owners that I knew and are both OCD) for $30500 with 24k miles left on an extended bumper to bumper warranty...I consider myself lucky to have gotten it when I did. It's pristine and came with a stack of maintenance paperwork.
I anticipate this being mine for a LONG time.

I've seen several local ones go for 10-15k more than I paid the same day they were listed.

I'd say that your expectations are unrealistic for at least the next year and maybe longer...and the unwillingness to fly is baffling(isn't your being uncomfortable on a plane(who ENJOYS commercial airlines?!)for a few hours worth the perfect truck?)...married with kids as well and I don't understand her agreeing that a Gen1 Raptor makes sense for your family's needs, but only if it doesn't have an aftermarket bumper?

Also, just saying, if it is financially within your means, why would watching Her kids for a day or two be a big deal? What wife Wouldn't want her husband to have his 'dream truck'(again, provided that it's not putting an unreasonable hurt on the bank account)?!

Good luck.

Last edited:

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a TB '14 SCREW with 148k(2 owners that I knew and are both OCD) for $30500 with 24k miles left on an extended bumper to bumper warranty...I consider myself lucky to have gotten it when I did. It's pristine and came with a stack of maintenance paperwork.
I anticipate this being mine for a LONG time.

I've seen several local ones go for 10-15k more than I paid the same day they were listed.

I'd say that your expectations are unrealistic for at least the next year and maybe longer...and the unwillingness to fly is baffling(isn't your being uncomfortable on a plane(who ENJOYS commercial airlines?!)for a few hours worth the perfect truck?)...married with kids as well and I don't understand her agreeing that a Gen1 Raptor makes sense for your family's needs, but only if it doesn't have an aftermarket bumper?

Also, just saying, if it is financially within your means, why would watching Her kids for a day or two be a big deal? What wife Wouldn't want her husband to have his 'dream truck'(again, provided that it's not putting an unreasonable hurt on the bank account)?!

Good luck.

I thought the same thing as you. It sounds like he is willing to have his wife drive him to the dealership up to 4-6 hours away and then back but thinks it’s too hard for her to be a couple days without him. Women are amazing and resilient and I would 100% guarantee she would be more than willing to do that for her husband.

Last edited:

jinskeep

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Richiemitchell yeah it’s sad that I missed the $30K to $35K bubble before the microchip debacle hit. Now that will get me an 11-12 SCREW with like 120K miles. I am still holding out faith that I can score a 13-14 with 100K to 125K miles for around $35K it will probably just not be the SE in Ruby Red and probably just a base in black or white—which I am totally ok with. Just can‘t bring myself to buy this one even though it has low miles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...oTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

There’s this one but it has a questionable sales record with 9 listings in the last 3 months. Seems too good to be true. https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FTFW1R66DFC64512/?referrer_id=autotempest

@jinskeep I’ve kept an eye on Bring a Trailer, no race red has sold let alone one with 1400 miles. That’s collector’s grade and well out of my price range.
They (BAT) have his info, guess not enough help to get it listed. Look again or it's coming up.

Reaction score
I was contemplating selling my white 13 screw with 66k miles. I was offered $40k but was told I can probably fetch closer to $50k given the V8 and shortage. The problem is there is nothing else I want right now (want the R) and don't want to waste money on something silly for a few years just to get by.
I have a CTR and looking for a first gen like you have.

Geauxfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with search! I believe you can find what you want but it might have high miles. Just sold my white 12 screw for $42k, one owner and 65k miles. The fella was looking for a low miles white Gen 1 and basically bought site unseen, but he has told me he is extremely happy with purchase.
A good friend of mine is sales manager at dealer and said low mileage Gen 1's are selling at auction for over $42k, but most dealers only want to offer NADA which for mine was around $32k. KBB was much higher, in the $40's...but right now they don't want to offer the higher price. Funny or strange thing is, they will pay the higher price at auction for one but won't offer a buyer with a potential sale of a stock vehicle the same price. Instead they lowball and everyone knows the market is crazy high right now.
He said they are trying to balance trades and auction vehicles so when the bubble hits they don't lose money on all the auction vehicles they paid higher prices for.