Looking at upgrading to a 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 22 and my dad has a 19. I went to visit for a week and spent that time driving around the 19 for 7 days straight. It's insane how much better everything is in the Gen 3. Anyone who disagrees, I respect their opinion, but they are just being silly. It's noticeable differences from the technology, to the seats and interior quietness and suspension is a ton smoother. The only thing I could give to the Gen 2 is that it seems to get slightly better gas mileage. The gas mileage could be in my head, but the rest of it isn't.

Once you are in that price range, I'd be looking for new. I see them being raced and floored all the time at Starbucks. High RPM's to make them feel better about the mall crawling. The first 5000 miles could be the most important for engine break in if you are believing in that also.

Besides the listed above issues, look out for paint damage and body work not lined up, wrinkled front seats, clunking suspension at slow speeds. Get it and don't look back. The Gen 2's will start dropping even more in value as more of the 3's get produced now.

OP
OP
shank_guru

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2023 avalanche, carbon, wheels, pro power, moonroof, pretty much all the options for 86k brand new last month. I would say you can do slightly better finding a brand new one for less
I built the truck online for $87,195. Add PA tax and fees, that would be just shy of $92,980. This one has 2,000 miles, they've had it for 2 months. There is room to get out the door for well less than their asking price of $87,500/$93,300.

I see you are in Manheim. I'm just north, in between Colebrook and Campbelltown.

jericbarg

Reaction score
I bought my 2023 avalanche, carbon, wheels, pro power, moonroof, pretty much all the options for 86k brand new last month. I would say you can do slightly better finding a brand new one for less
You and I bought the same truck except mine also has Retrax Bed cover and spray in liner. MSRP was $87750 and I paid $87250 with no fees, just taxes.
I agree , he can do better finding a brand new one for less

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
OP said he can get the price down to a comfortable level. So price is not an issue.

If it has all the options and is the color you want, go for it. A few missing options can be added after delivery. All 3 Gens are very fun trucks to drive.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 22 and my dad has a 19. I went to visit for a week and spent that time driving around the 19 for 7 days straight. It's insane how much better everything is in the Gen 3. Anyone who disagrees, I respect their opinion, but they are just being silly. It's noticeable differences from the technology, to the seats and interior quietness and suspension is a ton smoother. The only thing I could give to the Gen 2 is that it seems to get slightly better gas mileage. The gas mileage could be in my head, but the rest of it isn't.

Once you are in that price range, I'd be looking for new. I see them being raced and floored all the time at Starbucks. High RPM's to make them feel better about the mall crawling. The first 5000 miles could be the most important for engine break in if you are believing in that also.

Besides the listed above issues, look out for paint damage and body work not lined up, wrinkled front seats, clunking suspension at slow speeds. Get it and don't look back. The Gen 2's will start dropping even more in value as more of the 3's get produced now.
i dunno, i test drove a 37 and wasnt blown away, def felt better in a few areas tech wise and a lot of stuff is cool, but i couldnt justify the extra cost imo. The recaros felt really nice compared to the gen 2 leather, but once i found the gen 2 recaros im pretty happy.
Like goin from gen juan to gen dos was massive to me, gen 3 felt a lot closer. But then again that was just a 15 min test drive, kinda unfair to get a true difference.

That and the fenders / fender flares bother the hell out of me

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i dunno, i test drove a 37 and wasnt blown away, def felt better in a few areas tech wise and a lot of stuff is cool, but i couldnt justify the extra cost imo. The recaros felt really nice compared to the gen 2 leather, but once i found the gen 2 recaros im pretty happy.
Like goin from gen juan to gen dos was massive to me, gen 3 felt a lot closer. But then again that was just a 15 min test drive, kinda unfair to get a true difference.

Yea I would have that mindset also if I already dropped $70k 3 years ago. I get it completely but done forget the ability to adjust the exhaust, steering and shocks on the steering wheel and of course coils in the rear smooth out that bump. Again it’s all the small comfort creatures from a 19-23 that make it even better.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The fender flares still bother the hell out of me and yes, Gen 1 to 2 was a much much bigger jump. IMO the Gen 3 just takes the Gen 2 and refines the suspension and ride quality a lot. In order to really see the exact difference I feel like you need to drive a Gen 2 and Gen 3 both on the same tires.

Burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my first Raptor was a 2019 Roush - loved it, now have a 2023 37 - from my perspective the 2023 its just better in every little way although again I loved my 2019 as well but 2023 is just a bit better IMO