Long distance lighting on the cheap!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a long one and it is full of pics and a short video describing the process and light selection for me to see further at night. First, I am cheap...I would love to be able to do the 4" pencil beams for $750 a pair
Featured Products | Outlaw Raptor
However, it is just not in my budget. This got myself and MarkT to search for an affordable alternative. MarkT is the research and engineering whiz and he took on this mission and came up with a fantastic alternative. The Hella FF 50's, a pencil beam. For about $110 per pair
My Hella Lights :: FF50 Series w/Clear Lens
The first upgrade on these were to change out the bulbs to a 65W model
Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulb
Mark has put these on his hood mount fixtures and they are so stealthy, almost not visible with a dark lens on them for you Cali guys. Pics to follow...
As we continued to discuss these lights I needed an option to give me just an extra boost beyond the range of my HIDX on the hood mounts. So we decided to make a removable exterior light. After researching we decided on a 5" magnetic mount for an external antennae. We used the standard coax as the wiring and sent the ends to a 12 volt adapter for the auxilary jacks. These are so flexible, you can mount them anywhere there is metal.
IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

So I am glad that you asked, "How well does this inexpensive light setup work?" First we will post up some pictures and then a video. We chose this spot to do the photo and video at because the posts on the left side of the road are on 12' centers with a reflector on every other post. Therefore about 25' per reflector if you care to count them in the photos or videos and that will give you the range.
This trail was drivable at about 45 mph comfortably for me prior to placing the additional lighting. When we were done I ran the same road at 60 and could have pressed harder if necessary. This is a great mod for me.

A couple of pics facing my truck
IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

Mark took this photo of me at 1/4 mile
1-4mileawayR.jpg

This is with headlights only
IMG_4218.jpg

Headlights plus duallies
IMG_4219.jpg

Headlights, duallies, and 20" rigid ightbar
IMG_4222.jpg

Headlights, duallies, 20" lightbar and hood mount 4" Hidx, start noticing the reflectors to check for range
IMG_4223.jpg

Headlights, duallies, 20" lightbar and hood mount 4" Hidx, Hella FF50's, the whole package
IMG_4227.jpg

Pics shift to Marks camera, slightly different angle from Dawgs
Rall.jpg

Marks all lit up
M-all.jpg

Both vehicles lit up, shortly after this I got a call from the Luxor and they told us to quit shining so brightly we were detracting from their pyramid light.
BOTHALL.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

Both.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

Still hanging in there.....here is a short vid, watch in HD and make the screen large so you can see the reflectors on the posts for range, at about 43 or 44 seconds is when I switch on the Hella roof mounts, notice how many additional reflectors light up and multiply that times 25':birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I had to click back and forth a few times when you added in your roof 550s in the video but I noticed it really did light up out there farther than the HIDX did. 4-5 more reflectors pop into view when you turn the 550s on.

Cool mod! I like that it's easily removeable too for street driving.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought HID's were supposed to shine farther than halogens?

Anyways looks good, and cool its removable.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:waytogo: :waytogo:

Looks great, works great and it's removable. I'm giving this mod 2 thumbs up!

I like the magnetic mounts as it's something I've been thinking about for some time. So, I did some research and found this:

47573.jpg

It uses 5 150lb magnetic bases that the manufacturer claims will hold the light up to 80MPH.

I think these magnetic bases, if available separately, could be used to install all manner of off road lights.

LED Light Emitter w/ Magnetic Bases - 100, 3-Watt LEDs - 18,000 Lumen - 9-42 Volts DC Part # LEDLB-100-M Price: $2,940.17 (This LED light bar is 52" long/wide!)

LED Light Emitter w/ Magnetic Bases - 100, 3-Watt LEDs - 18,000 Lumen - 9-42 Volts DC - MagnaLight

47573.jpg

47573.jpg

OP
OP
LVdezertdawg

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to click back and forth a few times when you added in your roof 550s in the video but I noticed it really did light up out there farther than the HIDX did. 4-5 more reflectors pop into view when you turn the 550s on.

Cool mod! I like that it's easily removeable too for street driving.

Thanks, we thought about six reflectors so 150' or half a football field farther.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Damn that's a lot of light.

I am getting old and can't see at night anymore:waytogo:

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

I thought HID's were supposed to shine farther than halogens?

Anyways looks good, and cool its removable.

Thanks, I think it has to do with the reflectors used on a pencil beam type light and the fact that it focuses all the light in a more confined area. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

:waytogo: :waytogo:

Looks great, works great and it's removable. I'm giving this mod 2 thumbs up!

I like the magnetic mounts as it's something I've been thinking about for some time. So, I did some research and found this:

It uses 5 150lb magnetic bases that the manufacturer claims will hold the light up to 80MPH.

I think these magnetic bases, if available separately, could be used to install all manner of off road lights.

LED Light Emitter w/ Magnetic Bases - 100, 3-Watt LEDs - 18,000 Lumen - 9-42 Volts DC Part # LEDLB-100-M Price: $2,940.17 (This LED light bar is 52" long/wide!)

LED Light Emitter w/ Magnetic Bases - 100, 3-Watt LEDs - 18,000 Lumen - 9-42 Volts DC - MagnaLight

Thanks Dan, we used this magnetic mount. It has a 95# pull and if you place it on a flat area it is tough to remove. Notice on my roof photos that I place them over a concave area so I can remove the mounts without too much of a struggle
Hustler MBM Heavy Duty 5" Magnet Mount - Magnet Mounts - Antenna Mounts - Antennas & Mounts
mbm.jpg

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The little Hella's FF50's are not a true pencil beam... but those little suckers sure put out a lot more light than their size (and price) would lead you to believe!

I also like them for their "stealth" qualities when off... can you find the FF50's in this pic?

IMG_4189.jpg

(even harder to see when covered)

HID's can't be beat in terms of sheer light output. The HID's we have are 4" Chinese knockoffs with more or less a "euro beam" pattern... but the FF50's do have more range.

This set up is not as much light as you would have with $2000 in quality HID's like the Hella 4000's... but it's adequate light for me to drive off road at night comfortably at between 50 to 60 mph without feeling like I'm overdriving the lights... at a fraction of the price.

Kudo's to 'Dawg for all the work he put in building the roof lights! When I get the chance, I'm building a set for myself!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Wow, it's hard to see those 550s on the hood mounts even when I make the picture bigger.

I think the LED bar with the magnetic bases is exactly the kind of setup I want for a roof light. Now to figure out how to make a mount the VisionX Xmitter Prime will fit into, haha!

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow great pictures, especially likin' the HID's on there :waytogo:

Those magnetic mounts look like they would fit right on a VisionX bar. Infact that's either a VisionX bar that they're selling or they are just knocking it off