Lightning Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorbone

Reaction score
I have a Gen 1 I will not sell. I have a 19 Ranger fitted with a 2.3L and full Icon suspension I just ran at TRR. Arguably funner than my Gen 1 on the track. I have a Lightning reserved. Yes, it will also get a full Icon suspension, if they make coilovers for the rear IFS, and it will also go to TRR. No need to choose. BTW on the Coyote and low end torque, strap a Whipple on top and it absolutely makes great low-end torque. Have the dynographs to prove from my 17 F150.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said loud, but the 3.5 sounds horrible. Are you saying the Gen 1 raptor with magnaflows isn't absolutely one the best sounds ever? If not, you must not be much of an enthusiast. I do agree the Gen 3 won't sound much different, I will however be keeping the factory exhaust as I want it muffled as possible.
Sounds mean nothing to me. I have countless hours on race tracks and have raced internationally. Performance matters. Sound is for posers

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
GT3 is a fun quasi daily...owned a few. R8 v10 engine is fun. Nothing has the is visceral feeling of RS IMHO. NOW, I bet she would like 720s...it's a blast to drive and fast as hell. One of my favs in garage.
The 720S is nice as well. Always been a fan of German machines though.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but with the heat around the country, they are telling people to conserve electricity. Where are you supposed to plug in your electric truck? The grid can't handle it now. So let's make tens of thousands of Electric vehicles that need electricity. Does anyone else see a problem with this?
I agree with most, an electric Raptor doesn't make sense at the moment because of range limitations and Baja's charging infrastructure, but this argument is nonsense. The vast majority of electric vehicle charging happens at home, overnight. They "time-shift" usage to less busy times of the day. The grid can handle substantially more than the average daily usage, it is surge usage it can't handle, the 3 to 7PM when it is hot and people are home cooking. Also, if you have an electric Raptor, you can/should prioritize solar on your house, which could accommodate the increased electricity usage.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True, but very little is still not the same as ZERO from a V8 Torque monster. Not to mention the sound these things makes is embarrassing. I have one so dont get offended, but my got I used to make fun of kids when I was in high school for driving fart cars. This sounds very similar.
Just saying the electric motor has an more torque and an infinite power band that no internal combustion engine can come close to...
Or for people that actually want to go fast.
Electric vehicle hold the world record for fastest production car...

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I support this combo. Owning a Tesla and a prerunner I absolutely can support merging the two. Let’s clarify though there is a large difference between the daily demand of raptor owners that don’t exceed 30 mi a day. The rare few are actually needing a 500mi range.plus there is a misunderstanding that you must have a full charge vs in route charge times.

I do think the electric motor is more superior to internal combustion as long as they can find a viable power source. The benefits that electric motors would play in the sand and race would dominate the field.

I’ve been following the team building the electric TT they raced down in San Felipe for the Baja 250. They have a long way to go but again we are talking about an electric Starbucks getter here not a full on race truck ability

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford would surely wait to see how quickly the Lightning gets accepted by customers before making such a big change. I would guess that they go with a hybrid model first though, as that would you wouldn't have the same range issue.

There are quite a few issues I'd want to see fixed or improved before I make that sort of investment. Range isn't so much the issue, but the charging times. It's fine 95% of the time, but if I decide I want to drive to Florida for example, I don't want to have to have the trip take twice as long because of charging, and then have to make plans to charge while I'm there. I probably would end up just renting a vehicle to avoid the hassle.

The other big issue is depreciation. Your batteries will hold less charge the older they are, and thus you'll get worse performance and lower resale value (I would think, haven't looked at used values). They need to find a way to keep battery capacity high or economically be able to switch out batteries.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but with the heat around the country, they are telling people to conserve electricity. Where are you supposed to plug in your electric truck? The grid can't handle it now. So let's make tens of thousands of Electric vehicles that need electricity. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

We just need more coal fired plants, rofl, is China still building them at a pace to bring one a week on line?

Anyone every look at the USGS survey of recoverable oil and gas in the US? Holy ****!

I have always said, the greater hubris of man is that we can keep the status quo of the environment, not that we can change it.