GEN 2 Lighting advice, please…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDB666

Reaction score
I know this is probably old news, but I’m new to the Raptor world. What I’m looking for is some advice between a light bar or fogs.

I drive on east coast country backroads, no desert running. I liked the BD Linkable setup, but I assume it’s total overkill.

I’ve seen some BD fogs that are also impressive. I would like 1 amber and the other 2 white. I don’t really care about DOT legal, I’d like it to be as bright as possible.

What would you do? Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Go big, or go home.
IMG_5725.jpg

I am a recovering east coaster, now located in the once and future territory of Mexico, Texas. Here, you don’t have to cover off road lights, and it’s considered neighborly to drive with them on, apparently.

For your use case, I’d have at least an outboard set of SAE fogs that you can use in rain, snow, etc. No, SAE are not sexy lights, but, you can have them on with oncoming traffic and they do help.

As you can see, I’m using baja designs lights. This setup is good enough to see out to around .5 miles+ - farther than I can make out details. It’s 2/3 mile of straight from my 2nd to last turn to my last turn. .6 of it is on level ground and that’s where I usually light them all up.

You’ll get away with the bumper slot lights a little easier than the bar or a-pillar mounts. In VA, I had to cover every one of them for mandatory state inspection every year, but the covers only went on for the inspection and I -never- covered them for the 3 years I had the Rap there. I did keep covers with me, just in case. These lights are ok for up close illumination and they do push out pretty far, but, they’re relatively easily obstructed for off road use. If you can only do a single squadron pro pair, then get wide corner lenses. they don’t push that far out, but they throw light everywhere and really help in back roads, particularly for critters that like to leap in front of us.

if you go with bumper slot lights, I’d recommend 2x SAE fogs, 2x driving comb squadron pros in amber, 2x squadron pros in white. If you decide to add more lights, you can get amber covers. I’m getting a 2nd set of amber covers soon.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go big, or go home.
View attachment 398942

I am a recovering east coaster, now located in the once and future territory of Mexico, Texas. Here, you don’t have to cover off road lights, and it’s considered neighborly to drive with them on, apparently.

For your use case, I’d have at least an outboard set of SAE fogs that you can use in rain, snow, etc. No, SAE are not sexy lights, but, you can have them on with oncoming traffic and they do help.

As you can see, I’m using baja designs lights. This setup is good enough to see out to around .5 miles+ - farther than I can make out details. It’s 2/3 mile of straight from my 2nd to last turn to my last turn. .6 of it is on level ground and that’s where I usually light them all up.

You’ll get away with the bumper slot lights a little easier than the bar or a-pillar mounts. In VA, I had to cover every one of them for mandatory state inspection every year, but the covers only went on for the inspection and I -never- covered them for the 3 years I had the Rap there. I did keep covers with me, just in case. These lights are ok for up close illumination and they do push out pretty far, but, they’re relatively easily obstructed for off road use. If you can only do a single squadron pro pair, then get wide corner lenses. they don’t push that far out, but they throw light everywhere and really help in back roads, particularly for critters that like to leap in front of us.

if you go with bumper slot lights, I’d recommend 2x SAE fogs, 2x driving comb squadron pros in amber, 2x squadron pros in white. If you decide to add more lights, you can get amber covers. I’m getting a 2nd set of amber covers soon.
Damn....is that a lovebug seasonal photo op?

Hburgrap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go big, or go home.
View attachment 398942

Considered neighborly to drive with them on :) that any worse than a PA hillbilly in his lifted ram with Chinese LEDs that have no focus? They can only be designed to blind everyone :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was taking nephew back from the range stopped at a 4x intersection. First rolls up a Wilson Co. deputy, opposite direction rolls up a jeep (of course) 2 huge light bars lit up. We could see inside the cab of the deputy’s SUV.

I thought for sure that guy was getting at least a talking to. Nope, Deputy drove right on by, shielding his eyes the whole way.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Had a guy cut me off on the freeway yesterday. I turned on all of my forward facing lights. Think I freaked them out a bit, a lot of erratic driving in the lane. I could see the hairs standing up on the back of their necks. Then they clicked 2 lanes over and speed off. It was still daytime...