Light Wiring Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a triple bezel kit from Baja Designs and it is arriving tomorrow. I am somewhat familiar with electrical wiring, but wanted input from the experts before I start my install.

I ordered the following:
  • Baja Designs Squadron Pro
  • Baja Designs SAE Wide Cornering
  • Baja Designs S1 Wide Cornering (amber)
My first question is which wire bundle do I need to unwrap? I see it changed between years and want to grab the right one the first time. It's a 2019.

My second question is which up fitters would you recommend for which lights? I want them all on separate switches.

My third question is has anyone used Posi-Products Wire Connectors? I have used them for other things, but was thinking they may be a good option because 1) they allow me to keep the factory wiring length in tact and 2) they are easily swappable and removable.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP616/Posi-Products-Wire-Connectors-for-18-to-20-gauge-wire.html

Lastly, if I go that route, is 18-20 gauge the correct size? I know the upfitter wires are small.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switches 1 and 2 are 15 amps, 3 and 4 are 10 amps, 5 and 6 5 amps. We recommend using switches 1-4 and 14-16 gauge wire for switches 1-4 and 18 for switches 5-6. Our kit does come with instructions, we've got a Youtube installation video and here's the link to the instructions as well:

Link ---- >>> INSTALLATION

Here's a picture of the wiring:

R4OMRXO.png

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switches 1 and 2 are 15 amps, 3 and 4 are 10 amps, 5 and 6 5 amps. We recommend using switches 1-4 and 14-16 gauge wire for switches 1-4 and 18 for switches 5-6. Our kit does come with instructions, we've got a Youtube installation video and here's the link to the instructions as well:

Link ---- >>> INSTALLATION

Here's a picture of the wiring:

R4OMRXO.png
Appreciate that info. I assume my order came with your wiring harness, so I shouldn't need any additional wire?

So the Squadron Pro driving/combo is listed on the BD site at 2.90A per light? So most likely Switch 3-4.

SAE is listed at 1.6A per light?

S1 wide cornering (amber) is listed at 1.45A?

Seems like the best option would be Squadron Pro on 4, and the SAE on 5 and S1 on 6?

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wire is pretty darn thin on switches 5 and 6. If you're not planning on using all the switches, we recommend sticking with 1-4. And yes, the kit comes with a wiring harness.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a triple bezel kit from Baja Designs and it is arriving tomorrow. I am somewhat familiar with electrical wiring, but wanted input from the experts before I start my install.

I ordered the following:
  • Baja Designs Squadron Pro
  • Baja Designs SAE Wide Cornering
  • Baja Designs S1 Wide Cornering (amber)
My first question is which wire bundle do I need to unwrap? I see it changed between years and want to grab the right one the first time. It's a 2019.

My second question is which up fitters would you recommend for which lights? I want them all on separate switches.

My third question is has anyone used Posi-Products Wire Connectors? I have used them for other things, but was thinking they may be a good option because 1) they allow me to keep the factory wiring length in tact and 2) they are easily swappable and removable.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP616/Posi-Products-Wire-Connectors-for-18-to-20-gauge-wire.html

Lastly, if I go that route, is 18-20 gauge the correct size? I know the upfitter wires are small.

Thanks in advance!
i would avoid those connectors you listed. while they do work, they are not weatherproof. they will corrode and eventually fail and possibly split the wire you tapped into.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would avoid those connectors you listed. while they do work, they are not weatherproof. they will corrode and eventually fail and possibly split the wire you tapped into.
I'm not sure I follow. They are listed as waterproof and don't tap into any wire. The upfitter wire feeds into one end and the wiring harness wire on the other end.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow. They are listed as waterproof and don't tap into any wire. The upfitter wire feeds into one end and the wiring harness wire on the other end.
took another look at the connector. different connector than i first thought, however over the years i have seen many fail and many corroded wires with these connectors as well. not as bad as other connectors though

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Use dielectric grease at the connections. Plugs.

Let there be Light!

Dielectric grease is silicone-based grease that repels moisture and prevents electrical connections from corroding.

The grease is a non-conductor of electricity. You are therefore advised not to apply it on mating surfaces of electrical connection.

At the connection is the key, plugs as you stated.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dielectric grease is silicone-based grease that repels moisture and prevents electrical connections from corroding.

The grease is a non-conductor of electricity. You are therefore advised not to apply it on mating surfaces of electrical connection.

At the connection is the key, plugs as you stated.

Sounds good. I've used it all my life with fantastic results.