wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to install the foglight kit. LED Pods are 40W each. so total of 6 will be 240W.
I was planning to wire all 6 lights to switch 1 or 2 which is 15A for 2018 model.
I noticed switch wire in the engine bay is 20 gauge wire.

question.
1. do i need to have a relay?
2. can i use thicker gauge wire for example 20 gauge to 14 or 12?
3. having 6 LED pods at 40W each is that too much for 15A switch?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I run 14g wire for all of my lighting.

Running the uplifter to power the relay switch on is nice built in safety.

Need to know the amp draw for each light to answer your question. Are the all fogs or split with spots?

When I ran the 6 pack, I had the 4 fogs on 1 switch, 2 spots on the other. Having the flexibility on the road to not have "ALL THE LIGHTS" is a nice option. Passing motorists will also appreciate them not all being on as well.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score

Need to know the amp draw for each light to answer your question. Are the all fogs or split with spots?

When I ran the 6 pack, I had the 4 fogs on 1 switch, 2 spots on the other. Having the flexibility on the road to not have "ALL THE LIGHTS" is a nice option. Passing motorists will also appreciate them not all being on as well.
200.gif

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So looks like they have 4 10w leds so 40/12 roughly 3 1/3amps
2 pairs of white spot and 1 pair of amber flood will be my setup

Switch 1 and 2 is not being used but planning to use one of them for the fog light kit and light bar in the future.

currently switch 3 is my ditch light
switch 4 rear chase light
5, 6 not being used

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am trying to install the foglight kit. LED Pods are 40W each. so total of 6 will be 240W.
I was planning to wire all 6 lights to switch 1 or 2 which is 15A for 2018 model.
I noticed switch wire in the engine bay is 20 gauge wire.

question.
1. do i need to have a relay?
2. can i use thicker gauge wire for example 20 gauge to 14 or 12?
3. having 6 LED pods at 40W each is that too much for 15A switch?
so 3.3 amps roughly per LED pod
That’s going to be a tick under 20 amps, so no go with out either changing the allocation or using a relay. Pull 1 pair and you’ll be at 13.2a which to me is still close enough to put a relay on a 15a circuit.

14 gauge multi strand should be good for 20a ( romex/bx/mc/uf ) house wire is single strand and not as efficient and 14 in those example are only rated 15a.

So yes, 6 pods would overload your 15a circuit.

Did someone say ohm’s law?

So looks like they have 4 10w leds so 40/12 roughly 3 1/3amps
2 pairs of white spot and 1 pair of amber flood will be my setup

I’m sayin’.

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so 3.3 amps roughly per LED pod
That’s going to be a tick under 20 amps, so no go with out either changing the allocation or using a relay. Pull 1 pair and you’ll be at 13.2a which to me is still close enough to put a relay on a 15a circuit.

14 gauge multi strand should be good for 20a ( romex/bx/mc/uf ) house wire is single strand and not as efficient and 14 in those example are only rated 15a.

So yes, 6 pods would overload your 15a circuit.

Did someone say ohm’s law?

I’m sayin’.
Another question. Can i hook up 2x 36w to switch 4 which is 5A?