Light bar questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRKDAYJNKE

Reaction score
I did a few searches but did not find a solid answer for a few questions. Im interested in putting a 40" light bar on. I know its popular to put it behind the lower part of the grille. What I am wondering is how much light you lose to diffusion from being behind the grille. Also if it poses any cooling reduction by blocking the radiator. Is it in front of the tranny cooler? Thanks in advance.

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You do lose some light, but there's no definite number. I've heard 20% all the way up to 45%. I believe the 20% though, but no issues so far with cooling or anything. PM us we have a ton of options for behind the grille!

MandR Automotive

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It does not have any concerns towards the cooling system and you just loose a little. 15000 lumens is plenty. Check out our site for pictures and videos

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe a member on here posted his findings using a LUX meter... He saw a measured 40% loss in output, if I'm remembering correctly.

Keep in mind, that's just an average joe, testing with his own meter at home... Accuracy could vary.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree... After having a 40" led behind the grill and roof mounted... The roof mounted far exceeds the behind grill mounted hands down..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes you loses light output, but there are some other distinct advantages to mounting it behind the grill.
1) it looks bad a$$
2) stealth mode, it is hidden from LEO if they are not legal in your state.
3) protection, from both road hazards and theft.
4) extremely easy to mounting and wiring.

Do you lose light out put? Yes! Probably more than you'd like, BUT you are considering this mounting scheme for other reasons...

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

OP
OP
TRKDAYJNKE

TRKDAYJNKE

Reaction score
Damn! 20-40%, thats a lot in my opinion. If I am paying that much for a light I want 100% use of it. Behind the grille does look bad ass though. For me though, looks like Ill be getting a light bar or bumper.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to hijack this post but I am not sure why a vendor has not come up with a new grill with a cut out for an led bar.

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why not put something crazy like the 21" VisionX Kit down in the lower grill then? You don't have to do any aftermarket bumper or anything, it'll mount right in that spot, and you can still get somewhere around 17,600 lumens for a 20" bar.. and you don't lose anything due to the grille!

Or you could do the Baja Designs Squadron Fog Light kit, and get 14,400 lumens and be able to aim them accordingly.. Like I said there's tons of options for you! Call me and we can discuss