Leaking front strut @ 83k miles - normal? Parts availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonStriker

Reaction score
I have a 2014 with the 6.2L... last set of tires cupped pretty bad, was curious if that was from the struts? Went in after 5k on new tires for alignment/check and while the tires are fine dealer reported that one of the front struts is leaking, and that he can find replacement fox struts... Is this normal and really a $2k fix?

Appreciate any advice.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
First off, welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with leaking Fox shocks.

Seeing as you seem surprised by leaking shocks at 83k miles, I will assume that they have never been rebuilt. Even under light street truck conditions they should have been rebuilt before 50k miles. Or at 50k miles at the latest.

There are companies/vendors on this site that will rebuild them for you. Or if you are mechanically inclined, you can buy the rebuild kit, special tools and rebuild them yourself.

You can also check Rock Auto for new shocks. All 4 need to be replaced or rebuilt. They are over do.

OP
OP
DonStriker

DonStriker

Reaction score
While somewhat mechanically inclined, I'm so over doing rebuilds without a proper garage/shop. Will the dealer do the remove - send for rebuild - replace, or do I need to find an independent mechanic? I'm also in WA state if anyone knows someone... haha Nex ;-). Can get photos l8r, but you answered my central ? that it needs to be done, and on all four! Thanks!

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the dealer will
Not send them out for a rebuild. It’s considered a “wear and tear item” since they’re suggested to be serviced”rebuilt” no later than 50,000 like stated earlier. The dealer would just order new. But you can totally remove and send them in to be rebuilt yourself OR you can choose to take advantage of the exchange program some of the well
Known 3rd party shock rebuild companies offer. Basically they you grade the condition of your shocks send in your payment/deposit they send you fresh rebuilt units and then you send yours in to give them in place of the ones they sent you so you do not have any down time.

But all of this info could have been found as it has been covered numerous times…

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
While somewhat mechanically inclined, I'm so over doing rebuilds without a proper garage/shop. Will the dealer do the remove - send for rebuild - replace, or do I need to find an independent mechanic? I'm also in WA state if anyone knows someone... haha Nex ;-). Can get photos l8r, but you answered my central ? that it needs to be done, and on all four! Thanks!

Andy is well known in the area. Has done work on my Raptor, wife's Range Rover, daughter's TRD Pro.

burntoutaccountant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the part numbers off rock auto. They’re way cheaper there. Summit racing will price match the price. I saved about $1000 doing that. Now I have a spare set that can be rebuilt.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need shocks too.
Been leaning towards new from Rock Auto.
Did not know about Summit price match until now, THANKS for that info !!

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Wa state as well and in the process of rebuilding a set of front shocks. I'd be willing to rebuild yours if you're comfortable with someone thats only done it once... lol but from what i'm seeing and what others have said its pretty simple. Or if you want to use my garage and tackle it yourself, i have all the tools.