Leaf spring mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has this forum really never heard of a “bastard pack?” It’s very common with pre runner Rangers where you take leaf springs from an XJ body Jeep and combine them with the OEM Ranger leaf pack to make a 6-7 leaf pack with the two donors. No, it done not turn your teeth to powder. Yes, it’s not as good as a deaver pack. When I did it (keep in mind I owned a Ranger 18 years ago) the XJ leafs could be found at a pick and pull for under 100 bucks. Added about 1 1/2” of lift and gave me enough room to run 35s and utilize a 14” stroke double bypass shock (bed cage required).

I say it’s 100% possible, but I wouldn’t limit yourself to just using the Raptor leaf pack, I’d take a width measurement of your OEM leafs now and do some google searching on which vehicles use that same width. With any luck there’s a different vehicle that has the correct width and hopefully different lengths so you can stack and stagger. Good luck with the mod.

*Full disclosure I am running ICONs on my 2012 currently. But I’m also in the same camp that thin strips of metal should NEVER cost $2,000. I know the cost of metal materials, ICON is making a killing on each set.

Also, why are ranger deavers $700 for the pair but raptor deavers are $1700 for the pair? You’re telling me there’s $1,000 more material on the raptor? Really, try to make me understand that price gouge.

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, why are ranger deavers $700 for the pair but raptor deavers are $1700 for the pair? You’re telling me there’s $1,000 more material on the raptor? Really, try to make me understand that price gouge.
A$$hat tax... as long as some idiot is going to pay what is being asked, they are going to keep raking in all that margin. Now where is my pointy hat...

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're forgetting "Raptor Tax" !!! :D
Very true, I guess people who pay 70k for a truck don’t mind 2k for suspension upgrades. In the long run I guess those pricing numbers make sense for the purchase price of the vehicle. Still though, would be nice if a company could be more transparent about pricing.

Pot calling the kettle black here though, I just purchased a pair of tapered misalignment spacers from RPG offroad for $160 bucks for the pair. If that wasn’t robbery, I’m not sure what is.