GEN 2 Greasing Squeaky Front Leaf Spring Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Domin0

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven't found a definitive answer as for how to do this, and am hoping someone on FRF may have some guidance. I was getting some pretty aggravating creaks and squeaks from the rear suspension following a Raptor run, and was able to resolve the worst of it by lifting up the ass of the truck, letting the springs droop, power-washing them, hitting them with compressed air, and then lubricating the rebound clips and tip isolators with PTFE dry lube.

The squeaking's come back after a couple weeks, and I've narrowed it down to the front bushings. Spritzing PTFE into what I could access completely eliminated the sound, but only for a couple days, so I'd like to remove the bolts and properly clean the bushings of any residual dirt/mud, then regrease 'em.

Is it as simple as lifting the rear up again, placing the frame on stands, and using the jack on the axle to modulate the springs once the bolts are out?

Thanks!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The bushings are probably shot and need to be replaced. If you are still on stock springs in the rear they are most likely flat.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got deaver 3+ packs and its the exact same thing. During a rain storm they are quiet as a church mouse, and after I spray them with WD40 lithium spray they are quiet for 1-2 weeks. The farm truck sound always returns. The springs are only about 2 years old. Looking forward to my gen 3 order 50% just for the quiet coils lol.

OP
OP
Domin0

Domin0

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bushings are probably shot and need to be replaced. If you are still on stock springs in the rear they are most likely flat.
Stock or aftermarket (Polyurethane) bushings?
On a pair of Deaver +2s (new poly bushings) that have only seen maybe 3,000 miles since they were put on earlier in the year, otherwise I'd say you're right about the originals being kaput.

Ive got deaver 3+ packs and its the exact same thing. During a rain storm they are quiet as a church mouse, and after I spray them with WD40 lithium spray they are quiet for 1-2 weeks. The farm truck sound always returns. The springs are only about 2 years old. Looking forward to my gen 3 order 50% just for the quiet coils lol.
Ha. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been thinking about a Gen 3 just for the coils but I swore I'd keep this thing until either it dies, or I do.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, poly bushings squeak. Hollow bolt with grease zirk would be a nice touch if they made one.

Morgan

Reaction score
I've used this stuff in the past with good success and longevity. It's super tacky- wear gloves for sure.

1696599269238.png

OP
OP
Domin0

Domin0

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to unbolt the leafs up front in order clean and grease at least a portion of the front bushings this afternoon. I don’t have the tools to remove them, so just worked with what I could access. I used Energy Suspension Formula 5. After a short drive, it seems like the issue has gone away, but time will tell.

OP
OP
Domin0

Domin0

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
…Aaand the sound returned this morning.

Determined to try and resolve it the right way, I loaned a ball joint press from AutoZone to remove the inner sleeve from the poly bushings, and then just gently pried them out. Cleaned them, used teflon tape, and coated them in grease before reinstalling them. Torqued the bolts on either side down to 250ft.lbs.

All that, and it’s just as bad as before. Sort of just at a loss at this point. I’ve read through every relevant thread here and other forums multiple times. Video: