Leaf spring mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i happen to have a spare set of stock leaf's and was wondering if i could kind of combine the ones on my truck and the spare set i have to make my own "redneck" cheap fake deavers lol

any thought on doing it?
has anyone done it already?
ideas to accomplish it?

my idea was to cut they eyes off the spare set and stack em, measure the difference and swap the stock block out for a different block. not looking for a lift just a better ride in the rear.

pro, cons, thoughts?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want it to ride like a F350 you can do it.

OK I'm sorry, I just had to do it.

Upgraded springs like Deavers and Icons are made of thinner leafs allowing more to be stack together at staggered lengths, this makes them progressive.

In any case the stock springs suck, no matter how you stack it. Pun intended.

And nothing good happens with block/spacer between the leaf pack and rear, nothing!!!

Don't be one of the 10,000 guys (me included) that have stated on this forum,
"I should have upgraded the rear springs sooner"!!!

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so i happen to have a spare set of stock leaf's and was wondering if i could kind of combine the ones on my truck and the spare set i have to make my own "redneck" cheap fake deavers lol

any thought on doing it?
has anyone done it already?
ideas to accomplish it?

my idea was to cut they eyes off the spare set and stack em, measure the difference and swap the stock block out for a different block. not looking for a lift just a better ride in the rear.

pro, cons, thoughts?
Sounds pretty Redneck!! If it was feasible and a good idea at all, it would of been thought of or built already after 10 years of Raptoring. Somebody probably already did it until they drove chattering their teeth into powder.

OP
OP
bruiser

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want it to ride like a F350 you can do it.

OK I'm sorry, I just had to do it.

Upgraded springs like Deavers and Icons are made of thinner leafs allowing more to be stack together at staggered lengths, this makes them progressive.

In any case the stock springs suck, no matter how you stack it. Pun intended.

And nothing good happens with block/spacer between the leaf pack and rear, nothing!!!

Don't be one of the 10,000 guys (me included) that have stated on this forum,
"I should have upgraded the rear springs sooner"!!!

it has a stock block...that what i was referring to to make up the difference by removing it and putting a smaller block to offset the height of adding more leafs

and while i would love deavers or icons rona and biden has not be friendly to my industry

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone here did something similar, but he had a shop build a custom leaf or leaves to add to the stock spring. I don't remember who, but if you read through all of the Deaver/Icon/towing threads, he pretty much posted in all of them, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

OP
OP
bruiser

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty Redneck!! If it was feasible and a good idea at all, it would of been thought of or built already after 10 years of Raptoring. Somebody probably already did it until they drove chattering their teeth into powder.

possibly, idk why you say it would chatter, ive seen a thread where they added one leaf the same thickness leaf to stiffen it up a bit

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it has a stock block...that what i was referring to to make up the difference by removing it and putting a smaller block to offset the height of adding more leafs

and while i would love deavers or icons rona and biden has not be friendly to my industry
I get it, it's $1,500+/- for the springs (Tax and shipped) and $200+ for the bump stop plates.

The block is called block horn it's a one piece cast steel or iron, this is where the bump stop hits.
If you lower the horn to much you could damage the shocks, I suppose you can get spacers for the bump stop.
But your going to half to cut the block horn without changing the pivot angle of the rear.
Then you need need u-bolts and new nuts and new center pin bolts and nuts for the leaf pack.
And if you don't get it right you'll have to buy again.

I don't know, just doesn't seem worth it to me, but that's me.
You may be better off getting a add-a-leaf kit from Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruiser

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it, it's $1,500 for the springs (shipped) and $200+ for the bump stop plates.

The block is called block horn it's a one piece cast steel or iron, this is where the bump stop hits.
If you lower the horn to much you could damage the shocks, I suppose you can get spacers for the bump stop.
But your going to half to cut the block horn without changing the pivot angle of the rear.
Then you need need u-bolts and new nuts and new stud bolts and nuts for the leaf pack.
And if you don't get it right you'll have to buy again.

I don't know, just doesn't seem worth it to me, but that's me.
You may be better off getting a add-a-leaf kit from Amazon.

id need new U-bolts regardless if i added these and that's no biggie and I could always get bump stops later, not like I'm doing any full articulation right now and I can hold of till its right. i may just add the middle leaf and call it a day, honestly kind of surprised we just have a 3 stack from the factory.