Lake Powell…Just as bad as Lk Mead? Maybe worse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deucedevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PHX resident with large irrigated lot. The irrigation water is reclaimed and not pulled from Colorado River run off or collection. AZ smartly negotiated water rights planning for growth will LA relied on water coming from the Sierras that quickly did not become enough supply. Running it off in to empty fields is tragic but for PHX to lose those water rights to California would be equally tragic long term. I'm not arguing that its right, I'm stating that given the rules, we would have all done the same thing in a position of decision making. The rules need to change if this is a true case of government waste and stupidity.

We were on Powell as a family in 2021 and although the water was done it is still a HUGE lake capable of supporting the communities the water supplies. The water levels have hurt on lake tourism far more than the actuality of water supply. Its not sustainable and the future is coming fast so decisions need to be made versus waiting for more inflow. I've been to Powell for long trips over the last 30 years and it has been on a steady decline the entire time. I will say that most recently due to run off it was up 13 feet and that is not nearly enough but a positive spring trend that has not been experience in a long time.

This is a complicated situation that involves nature, government, tourism, multiple states and bureaucracies and what you'll find, like in most situations, every one blames the other but its actually a multi faceted approach to return water levels to positive growth YOY.

deucedevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, separately, do you know the tongue weight on your camper. I just found out my 10/19/22 order will be pulled for scheduling this month. I towed an Australian built camper, MDC, from AZ to MN over 3,000 miles this past month with a 2021 F150 with 2" lift on 35s. We were packed for a 10 day excursion and being here for 2 months so loaded to the gills. Had about a 1" rear squat from level. Wondering how the Raptor will handle the load in squat. Do you use a weight distribution hitch?

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
John, separately, do you know the tongue weight on your camper. I just found out my 10/19/22 order will be pulled for scheduling this month. I towed an Australian built camper, MDC, from AZ to MN over 3,000 miles this past month with a 2021 F150 with 2" lift on 35s. We were packed for a 10 day excursion and being here for 2 months so loaded to the gills. Had about a 1" rear squat from level. Wondering how the Raptor will handle the load in squat. Do you use a weight distribution hitch?
I use the Blue Ox and I added a leaf to the rear witch helped level it out., I did the same thing to my 2010. The RV is about 22’ hitch to tail .
It handles the Trailer with ease but mileage of course drops to around 8 mpg :(

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Box it up and send it here!!
If it wasn't for all the fish and other organisms that liive in our water, there probably would of been a plan already to pipe it down to the dry states. As it is this lake (Okanagan Lake) sends its overflow to Skaha Lake nearby, but even then we have had floods the last few years. Looks like this year will not be an exception either. I will have to look up the sq ft for our lake compared to yours....