Kooks, AFE and 5 Star arrrrrre done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Having a blast with this, lol! Something that has come as a surprise to me is the drone issue.....or lack of actually. With the Magnapack, I had a bit of drone around 2k rpm, 70-75mph but now, I can honestly say that it's been reduced just a bit. Oh and I hope tyo get some pics up soon and will deff. get video from the dunes this weekend. Maybe I can hit that same woop section that I did in my other vid.

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! Definitely need a vid. Are you planing on dynoing the set up now?

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Very informative write up SOCO - and it reminded me of the pain I had trying to put headers on my 78 Grand prix as a teenager.
More importantly, your tips on all the associated crap that's involved, will save many of us several hours of frustration when 'trying this at home'. Better yet, it may send some to a shop to have it done without the bloody knuckles and fewer F-bombs!.
I'd love to have headers, but have placed them lower on my list to afford bumpers/winch etc.
I did order my Magnapack today, and Friday I will at least be sounding out a new tune around here!

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi SOCOMech
Great write up and very manly to install headers in driveway. :favorites13:
I also did not know your Raptor was famous. Also cool.
Thanks again for letting us earn your Business!
Mike

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOCOMech - I cannot believe your truck could sound any better. I still laugh my ass off everytime I start it up with the Magnapack setup you recommended. I would love to see some new video clips... :)

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
The results are in. No, not dyno results, MPG results. I was previously getting anywhere between 340-350 mi. per tank, normal everyday driving with city /hwy mixed. I've finished my first full tank of gas since doing the Kooks/AFE/5 Star and made it to.......

392mi.!!!!!!!!!!!! We're talking a 2mpg increase...on a 91 PERFORMANCE tune:)

What's really impressive is that I've obviously been playing with the new found power and have had spurts of spirited driving, not even trying to get good mileage. I'm driving out to Glamis this weekend so I'm anxiuos to see how some straight hwy driving will do, even though it won't take a full tank to get there. Don't you love efficiency? ;)

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
The results are in. No, not dyno results, MPG results. I was previously getting anywhere between 340-350 mi. per tank, normal everyday driving with city /hwy mixed. I've finished my first full tank of gas since doing the Kooks/AFE/5 Star and made it to.......

392mi.!!!!!!!!!!!! We're talking a 2mpg increase...on a 91 PERFORMANCE tune:)

What's really impressive is that I've obviously been playing with the new found power and have had spurts of spirited driving, not even trying to get good mileage. I'm driving out to Glamis this weekend so I'm anxiuos to see how some straight hwy driving will do, even though it won't take a full tank to get there. Don't you love efficiency? ;)

:driver:Wow did you expect to increase mpg's? Where do you think you stand on increased HP or have you dyno'd since the mod's?

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
:driver:Wow did you expect to increase mpg's? Where do you think you stand on increased HP or have you dyno'd since the mod's?

Not so much expecting it but not surprised really. It's all about efficiency my man.......and a damn good tune. I have not dyno'd yet but other trucks that have with these same mods are showing close to 60rwhp gain, so maybe close to that. All I know is that it's in ***** ape territory.

SOCO, what Kooks Y-Pipe option did you go with...if any?

I did the high flow cats.