Keyless Entry Code Retrieval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve known of people who buy $40k used cars with gas on E. You can call it standards, but you’re not outsmarting anyone. The dealer will give you a 2nd key if there’s enough room in the profit. m

As I said before , it should have it before it hits the lot, there shouldn't need to be a negotiation on getting a 2nd one. If there isn't enough room in the profit they made a poor investment to begin with . Lol@at you being up ppl buying a car on E and being ok with it.

Some dealerships even sell certified vehicles with 1 key knowing the requirements of making it a certified used vehicle is having 2 keys yet the customer doesn't know any better and just follows your sheep logic of " it's used I get what I get "

Jraptor78

Reaction score
So it showed up for trade in with out the second key if I was the dealer and as expensive as these keys are today I'd be hitting the guy on trade in value and then replacing the key on his dime since he lost it. Back in 1990 having 1 key was no big deal as it cost you 5 bucks to get a replacement, today as stated its a different story. And I agree two keys are standard not optional. When you buy it brand new you get handed two sets of keys so that pretty much makes it std equipment in my book.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it showed up for trade in with out the second key if I was the dealer and as expensive as these keys are today I'd be hitting the guy on trade in value and then replacing the key on his dime since he lost it. Back in 1990 having 1 key was no big deal as it cost you 5 bucks to get a replacement, today as stated its a different story. And I agree two keys are standard not optional. When you buy it brand new you get handed two sets of keys so that pretty much makes it std equipment in my book.

Keys are not as expensive as ppl think when a dealership is buying them . There are vendors for keys just like dealership use dent pro vendor and window vendor.

Dealership just don't do it because the sheep customers like @traxem knows don't demand high quality when paying a premium price.

Here's a fun fact, it is cheaper for a GMC dealership to put a second key on a raptor than it is for a Ford dealership. My point to everyone of my post is use the buyers need to stop being sheep and excepting the " it's used so you get what you get " line like @traxem likes to use. I can promise you there are dealerships that have this level of quality where you don't have to nickel and dime everything in a negotiation. Those are the dealerships that try to get away with the bare minimum....when you do the bare minimum corner are cut.

I can say for a fact that dealerships are not selling the car cheaper simply because they don't have a second key.

Jraptor78

Reaction score
I'm with you Kaz when I bought my Raptor used at a Hyundai dealership if they didn't have a second key and if the Tank wasn't full I would have been walking away. I've never purchased a car and had it on anything but full I check it before paper work starts and tell them to fill it up before we get started.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Kaz when I bought my Raptor used at a Hyundai dealership if they didn't have a second key and if the Tank wasn't full I would have been walking away. I've never purchased a car and had it on anything but full I check it before paper work starts and tell them to fill it up before we get started.
Well I was under the impression that it always comes with a tank. But these things needed to be negotiated for. What if after you sign off on the deal and financing, they hand you just one key. Nothing you can do at that point on a used car.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was under the impression that it always comes with a tank. But these things needed to be negotiated for. What if after you sign off on the deal and financing, they hand you just one key. Nothing you can do at that point on a used car.

The simplest answer to that question is don't sign anything until you make sure that the vehicle is even up to your standard for purchase. Dealerships don't do it because ppl as you have described will sign paperwork and drive off with one key and an empty tank of gas.

As I said before we as the buyer need to hold dealerships to a higher standard, go through your checklist before you even get in the office to sign paperwork. The more ppl do that and walk out of the deal the more these dealers will start making sure the vehicle is up to standard before it even hits the sales lot.

I'm issuing this challenge to you or anybody else he wants to say set the price of the car is cheaper simply for the fact of not having a key or a full tank of gas, find me an example of two vehicles same make, model ,year , car fax yet one is cheaper because it doesn't have a second key.............

You're assumption that these things need to be negotiated for or false, you have just been used to shopping with dealers that are used to sheep or have low quality standards.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Bought mine 2 months ago at a dealer also, only had one key. I'm pretty sure they have a bucket or drawer full of secondary keys just to force you to buy their magical $400 key. Mine was also missing the owners manual. The truck was immaculate. Mint. I could tell that the previous owner took EXCELLENT care of it. Even had a tune module controller in the glove box. I know he/she must have had multiple keys and the dealer probably just tossed them. I worked at a dealer 40 years ago. I know what goes on there.

Slightly off-topic, one of my favorite movies is USED CARS (1980). Kurt Russell and Jack Warden. FREAKING HILARIOUS!!! Why? Because I can guarantee you that everything in that movie is 100% true.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081698/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy my point is this, we as buying need to raise the level of "as is" like @traxem would say. At a certain year, mileage or price point we need to have higher standards and not just trade what the dealer is trying to sell us.

These are things ( two keys and a full tank ) that should not be park of a negotiation but rather standard. First thing you should make sure is those standards are met. If not walk away because I can guarantee there is another dealer that has those bare minimum things at the same price point as the dealer that doesn't.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never new that a tank of gas could be considered part of the finer things in life. :rolleyes:

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy my point is this, we as buying need to raise the level of "as is" like @traxem would say. At a certain year, mileage or price point we need to have higher standards and not just trade what the dealer is trying to sell us.

These are things ( two keys and a full tank ) that should not be park of a negotiation but rather standard. First thing you should make sure is those standards are met. If not walk away because I can guarantee there is another dealer that has those bare minimum things at the same price point as the dealer that doesn't.
Sometimes the dealer has the car you want and the price is right. Everything else being “standard” is wishful thinking.

An implied warranty that the car runs safely is probably all you’re going to get from the dealer and that’s only because it’s the law in most states.