Key/ignition problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jones17

Reaction score
So on my 2011 I had to get a replacement key after my original key fob got smashed (long story). After the replacement key was made the battery would die after a few days if I didn’t take the key out every night. Now my truck will start up and run for about 15 min and after that it will completely shut off. Doesn’t matter if it’s just idling or or I’m driving down the road. Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue could be?

Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So on my 2011 I had to get a replacement key after my original key fob got smashed (long story). After the replacement key was made the battery would die after a few days if I didn’t take the key out every night. Now my truck will start up and run for about 15 min and after that it will completely shut off. Doesn’t matter if it’s just idling or or I’m driving down the road. Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue could be?

Thanks
If you leave the key in the ignition that will drain the battery; that’s normal due to the key in ignition switch.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Now my truck will start up and run for about 15 min and after that it will completely shut off. Doesn’t matter if it’s just idling or or I’m driving down the road. Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue could be?

This part sounds like the theft system. A y codes via forescan?

And yea, as FTO mentioned don't keep your key in the ignition, in the truck or within 25 feet. Keep the key locked inside your house. These trucks are easy enough to steal as it is. No reason to help them out any.

OP
OP
Jones17

Jones17

Reaction score
Well it stays in my garage which is locked down, other than that the keys come out. Hasn’t been scanned just yet, goes in this week just seeing if it was simple I could fix myself.