Just realized I have an AirRaid CAI installed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Yea, I know it sounds wierd, but that's the case. I bought this 2010 used a few weeks ago (only 6k miles) and I remember seeing it under the hood at the dealership but forgot all about it. Just now as I was hardwiring my radar detector I saw it again.

That being said, I'm usually not a big fan of the CAI's due to the potential over oiling issues as well as them allowing more "stuff" to get through to provide better air flow. So the question is, should I consider removing it and going back to stock, or atleast replacing the filter element with one of the "dry" versions (I did this a while back on an MR2 I had which also had a previously installed CAI when I purchased it)...or am I worried about nothing and should just oil lightly when I clean and recharge it?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I don't know much about the Airraid intakes, is it an oiled filter for sure? My AFE has a dry one and it's super easy to maintain, just take it out and wash it out in the sink or with a hose and let it dry then re-install.

Oh and I did the exact same thing you did, I bought my 2010 used and it didn't even register to me that the CAI was aftermarket.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Yea, its oiled....just took it off and checked the part #...its 720-478 which from what I searched looks to be the oiled type

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I know it sounds wierd, but that's the case. I bought this 2010 used a few weeks ago (only 6k miles) and I remember seeing it under the hood at the dealership but forgot all about it. Just now as I was hardwiring my radar detector I saw it again.

That being said, I'm usually not a big fan of the CAI's due to the potential over oiling issues as well as them allowing more "stuff" to get through to provide better air flow. So the question is, should I consider removing it and going back to stock, or atleast replacing the filter element with one of the "dry" versions (I did this a while back on an MR2 I had which also had a previously installed CAI when I purchased it)...or am I worried about nothing and should just oil lightly when I clean and recharge it?

I have the dry version and added the water resistant mesh cover you can get for it. love the sound. gas mileage? my right foot dictates that unfortunately and it's used to Porsches.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys....I went ahead and ordered the dry filter and the "outerwear" cover as well. I figure this setup should filter about as good as the OEM setup....I don't take it off-road too much anyways, so at the very least this will make me more comfortable in keeping the setup.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install your new filter, you might want to shoot your MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner in case whoever had the truck before over oiled it and some of it got on the little MAF wire. Remember, just a few light squirts and DO NOT touch that wire in there.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
When you install your new filter, you might want to shoot your MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner in case whoever had the truck before over oiled it and some of it got on the little MAF wire. Remember, just a few light squirts and DO NOT touch that wire in there.

Yep...good call....use to do that on my MR2 at every oil change until I replaced the filter with the dry version. I still have the CRC stuff in my garage.