Jumping transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbycharles

Reaction score
Anyone know why the 10 spd automatic transmission seems to jump periodically?
It's like it's missing or skipping gears.
Notice it between 5th and 6th gears....

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the way its designed. if you don't like it, you need to get a transmission tune, they can set up sequential shifting. To me, I see no difference between the two.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's designed to skip gears for efficiency. When you're accelerating normally, all 10 gears aren't needed. When it's in Sport mode shifting at higher engine speeds or when a downshift is required, the 10 speed is able to select the optimal ratio.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think @FordTechOne has made the comment previously that Raptor / 10R80 1st gear is pretty low, and really quick to exit into the next gear. In normal mode, and driving like you’re on “island time / at the beach” you’ll go 1-3-5 at steady throttle. You can alter this a little by slightly altering the throttle input, so if you take off gently, but then gas it before exiting 1st gear, then let off a little, it will go 1-2-4-6. If you’re not quick enough to alter throttle input, it will shift 1-3-4-5-6 etc.

Running sport mode eliminates the skip shift feature, but it’s meant for sport use. I find it a little easier to be inarticulate with shifting if I’m lazy with throttle input. If you’re used to driving around in normal, you just need to use sport a little to “get it”.