JLT oil separator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered mine. BTW the coupon code FB5%, still is valid. $5.95 savings! Whohoo 2 free gallons of gas!!

PeteGav

Reaction score
not sure if this has been discussed.. but should I be adding new oil into the truck after dumping the catch can?

I seem to be accumulating a lot. I empty it every month and its about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ No.

Just monitor your oil level (via dipstick) on a regular basis and you'll know when/if to add any oil in between oil changes...

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if this has been discussed.. but should I be adding new oil into the truck after dumping the catch can?

I seem to be accumulating a lot. I empty it every month and its about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

I have wondered the same question from time to time. I've had my catch can on for probably around 10k miles now and am always amazed that every time I check the can, it is also at least 1/2-3/4 full.

I also just monitor it from checking the dipstick and I believe only once have had to top the level off just a hair. For the most part, I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to drop the overall oil level much at all.

Words of advice that I was told as a youngster....it's always better for the oil level to be slightly less than completely full rather than over full!

Last edited:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mine is still collecting great. I never have to add though. In reality you're draining maybe an ounce each time, the can may look half full but that's not a ton of oil in it. 1 quart is 32 ounces, so that'd be a LOT of FULL catch cans between each oil change to manage to capture a quart worth. I always pour mine into a plastic cup, and in ~20,000 miles I've gotten about 6 ounces so far.

Also since a lot of what it catches in winter months is condensation, that evaporates out of the cup as well, so it seems like more is being drained, but in those months its more condensation than oil.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've just learned about these - is it to late with 60k miles on my rig? I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since day one and every 5k miles...

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just learned about these - is it to late with 60k miles on my rig? I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since day one and every 5k miles...

I just installed mine and I just hit 50k miles. I was amazed on how much it caught in just a few thousand miles.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Question, do y'all just dump the oil that was caught back into the engine or do y'all discard if?

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not put it back into the engine, you will see why if you put it into a jar on your shelf in the garage and watch it separate over time.

I did when I checked it because it looked clean lol whoops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc