Jeep Wave, is there a Raptor Wave

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a jeep and corvette both had the wave. I think its corny, but still liked it and found myself waving. I never had a motorcycle to experience that wave. In the raptor I only get the occasional head nod while in traffic, etc. never notice the wave very often.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just please no. we can be friends without waving.

it's bad enough the high schools girls, and soccer moms waving at my wrangler (not me).

this is the corollary to the fact that my (track prepped) S197 seems to magically attract weird middle aged guys. go figure.

I'm also amused by the (local?) trend of every other 4x truck adding the three amber lights in their grill. doesn't bother me, but I definitely don't get it.

my lovely and patient wife is endlessly amused by these findings.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I owned a series of Jeeps beginning with a 1966 CJ5 and recently sold my 2004 Rubicon...

My first Jeep was an '81 CJ-7. I took possession in 1996. That was still when Jeeps were a relative novelty with relatively poor reliability. So someone driving a Jeep (at the time YJs were not considered real Jeeps) shared a bond of wrenching and maintaining an odd beast. A Jeep was not a daily driver by any sane person back in the day. Round headlight guys waved because we knew... we just knew...

Fast forward 20+ years, and a Jeep drives like any car. Reliable, quiet, and doesn't actually try to kill you in corners.

And anyone can drive one and own one safely. I love my JKU, but much of the uniqueness is gone from the Jeep world. it's a club anyone can join. One with a very low bar. Not good or bad. It just is.

Kinda like when Harley went to the Evo engine and everything got attainable for the average dentist. but that's another story.

enjoy the raptor. They truly are amazing trucks.

:)

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a Jeep you get a wave, in a Gen 1 Raptor you get ladies phone numbers and free coffee at Quick Trip. We are that popular.
Yes the Raptor community used to wave at each other but not so much anymore. Gen 2 and Gen 3 Raptor owners cannot wave with all the lattes and scones they are consuming.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In a Jeep you get a wave, in a Gen 1 Raptor you get ladies phone numbers and free coffee at Quick Trip. We are that popular.
Yes the Raptor community used to wave at each other but not so much anymore. Gen 2 and Gen 3 Raptor owners cannot wave with all the lattes and scones they are consuming.
This is so true, the first year of production, there was very few of us around, when I would travel the west coast down to Socal 3 or 4 times a year, you were almost pulling your whole body out of the window with excitement to get another Raptors attention during the day. At night, it was flashing your offroad lights or highbeams as you could see a Raptor coming a mile away. 99% were waving back or initiating, now a days, there are so many around and the wave didn't catch on like the jeeps, probably to do with the price and owners prestige.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wave. I'd say about 1/3 of my waves get returned. I ain't mad about it. It would be cool if Raptors had a more tight-knit community like Jeeps, but they are rare enough and expensive enough that the numbers just aren't there to support it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first Jeep was an '81 CJ-7. I took possession in 1996. That was still when Jeeps were a relative novelty with relatively poor reliability.
I had to laugh. Those things were god-awful. Not as bad as a Willys, but still. In 1981, when I moved to Colorado, they were like cockroaches on a pizza left out overnight. People were moving here like mad. The first thing they did was buy a Jeep and a house out in the woods, way out of town. A couple of years later, they were living in town driving Civics. The romantical image didn't hold up to reality. It was hilarious and totally predictable. It did keep a lot of car repair shops in business ...

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent waved nor have I recevied one from any other raptor owner. I just wonder when we cross paths if they think the same thing as me, "Hey its another raptor!". I get more random parking lot praises, but thats likely atttributed to the Race Red with matching beauty rings