IWE vacuum system upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Saving gas/fuel economy is part of the reason behind IWE.. Instead of turning a locking hub, you turn a knob on the dash. And it disconnects hubs from drivetrain, which increases fuel economy.. I was being a smart ass.. Sorry

-Greg

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saving gas/fuel economy is part of the reason behind IWE.. Instead of turning a locking hub, you turn a knob on the dash. And it disconnects hubs from drivetrain, which increases fuel economy.. I was being a smart ass.. Sorry

-Greg

No you are a genie-ass!!! ha ha ha

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 94 f150 4x4 had the old system no locking hubs, so you shifted into 4x4 by the transfer case. So the front axles,diff and front drive shaft always turned. That is why a lot of guys changed them over to locking hubs. Probably saved some on gas by changing them. Jack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
-Greg

Greg, I got the smart ass thing. That's home turf for me! But I thought that the Raptor's front differential didn't turn all the time. And anyway, protecting the vacuum control system won't change how the system functions. I'm confused.
Russ

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is protecting the weak diaphram inside the IWE from damage. If and when the diaphram becomes weaken/damaged it causes the splines (?) to wear/round off and eventually you loose 4wd. Which I suspect is what happened to bigj's raptor causing him to replace the IWE. Or the diaphram leaks or breaks leaving one or both sides engaged in 4wd all the time. And with the diaphram compromised the moisture travels through the vacuum system and damages the IWE solenoid. Now the whole IWE system would need to be replaced, which is no big deal for owners with warranties.

The open/unfiltered vent is the achillies tendon of the IWE system. The Raptors IWE is leaps and bounds better than eariler models, but it can be better..

Hope my rambling makes sense..

-Greg