IWE vacuum system upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is what I am thinking/planning to upgrade the four wheel drive/IWE vacuum system. Since the system is extremely prone to damage by moisture and contamination entering the system. The first area that needs to be addressed is the open "vent" tubes on both sides. When you switch into 4wd, the IWE module releases the vacuum. It is "vented" which means air is pulled into the "vent" lines and into the IWE. This would introduce contamination and moisture into the IWE. Then when you switch back into 2wd, the system pulls a vacuum through IWE module and pulls the moisture and crap into the IWE module..
So to solve this issue the IWE "vent" lines need to filtered and relocated.

The second main issue is the flimsy weak plastic lines. These lines run from the IWE to a plastic nonbarbed tee, to the driverside IWE exposed on spindle. Then continues along frame rail forward to front crossmember and crosses under skidplate to passenger side. Down the spindle exposed and finally to the passengerside IWE.
First off, this rubber hose is vunerable to damage in several locations. To improve this IWE vacuum line "system", I am thinking about replacing all the IWE vacuum lines. Using seemless stainless steel tubing to replace all stationary vacuum lines. And russell "type" stainless steel braided lines on all flexible lines.

These two modifications should dramatically improve the IWE system.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions (BIGJ????)

-Greg

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
K and N makes some smaller filters. Have used them on some valve covers for breathers. Might be able to adapt. Or maybe even route the open ends inside the cab. The stainless lines would definitely be a nice upgrade. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, vacuum vents should always have filters and be located in a clean dry environment.
Using braided hoses is good, as long as they’re designed for vacuum, not pressure.

Note: in a pneumatic control system vacuum vents are not located at the consumer/actuator but at the controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
K and N makes some smaller filters. Have used them on some valve covers for breathers. Might be able to adapt. Or maybe even route the open ends inside the cab. The stainless lines would definitely be a nice upgrade. Jack

Inside the cab is not a bad idea, or at least up off the frame rails..

Yes, vacuum vents should always have filters and be located in a clean dry environment.
Using braided hoses is good, as long as they’re designed for vacuum, not pressure.

Yes, regular braided ( Spectre type hoses) wouldnt work..

-Greg

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 84 ford 4x4 it had a hose on the front and rear diff that had a filter of sorts or maybe it was a one way valve on the end of it that was attached to the frame as so not to get water in the diffs. Don't know if these would work. Just a thought. Jack

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg

Two thoughts

Tap vents into you CAI tube???

Why mix hard and flex lines? Each joint is a likely leak point and vacuum leaks are a pia!!! There are some fairly heavy duty, abrasion resistant vacuum lines out their. All flex might save you time & headache and shouldn't cost to much more.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are the filters I am going to try...

View attachment 8848

"These Vacuum Filters are used inline with vacuum hose to prevent debris from entering and possibly damaging pressure sensors, EVC stepping motors, boost meters, etc"

Sounds like exactly what is needed, and at $14.. They are worth a try...

These plus relocating the "vents" to a higher and drier location should solve the IWE contamination issue..

-Greg

Last edited:

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Greg

Two thoughts

Why mix hard and flex lines? Each joint is a likely leak point and vacuum leaks are a pia!!! There are some fairly heavy duty, abrasion resistant vacuum lines out their. All flex might save you time & headache and shouldn't cost to much more.

So your saying keep one lline or as few connections as possible

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

These are the filters I am going to try...

View attachment 8848

"These Vacuum Filters are used inline with vacuum hose to prevent debris from entering and possibly damaging pressure sensors, EVC stepping motors, boost meters, etc"

Sounds like exactly what is needed, and at $14.. They are worth a try...

These plus relocating the "vents" to a higher and drier location should solve the IWE contamination issue..

-Greg

Would a small in line gas filter work or not ?

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Greg

Two thoughts

I understand what you are saying... It would only be one more connection doing hard/flex vs flex only. It would be easier rerouting flex verses hard tube and possibly cheaper.. Thank you for the suggestion.

I considered mounting the filtered "vents" in the airbox.. The only issue I see is unequal lengths of "vents" could cause driverside to lock faster than passenger side. Not sure if this would/could be an issue.. I am sure Corey (RPG) will help me with this..

-Greg

Last edited: