Is the valve train ticking noise always Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started my truck this morning and instantly got a loud valve train ticking noise. I shut the truck off and checked the oil and it was about 3/4 of a quart low. I added oil, started the truck and the ticking noise went away.

Does that sound like cam phasers? Can the dealership diagnose the problem without the noise present?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started my truck this morning and instantly got a loud valve train ticking noise. I shut the truck off and checked the oil and it was about 3/4 of a quart low. I added oil, started the truck and the ticking noise went away.

Does that sound like cam phasers? Can the dealership diagnose the problem without the noise present?

How long did the noise last on the initial start? If it was more than a few seconds, it’s not cam phaser related. The dealer needs to verify a concern to diagnose it, so if the noise went away they they won’t be able to.

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more of a rattle than a ticking and as FordTechOne said, it only last a couple seconds. It's loud too. Also, it only occurs when the engine is cold. So let it sit overnight and try again. You very likely won't here the rattle sound on a 2nd start.

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
How long did the noise last on the initial start? If it was more than a few seconds, it’s not cam phaser related. The dealer needs to verify a concern to diagnose it, so if the noise went away they they won’t be able to.

Thanks! I shut the truck off as soon as I heard it. Cold start and I'd say it lasted about 30 seconds. It's sounded like my 2015 Viper, just loud ticking. It's completely gone away now and the truck is driving fine.

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more of a rattle than a ticking and as FordTechOne said, it only last a couple seconds. It's loud too. Also, it only occurs when the engine is cold. So let it sit overnight and try again. You very likely won't here the rattle sound on a 2nd start.

Thanks! I'll see what happens when I start the truck tomorrow morning.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cam phasers has a rythmic ticking...that would speed up if one where to hit the gas. waste gate rattle is very random and not rpm dependent.

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that the loud ticking noise has not come back. Maybe it was because the oil was low and I'm 400 miles away from changing it. (Mobile 1 every 5k miles)