Identify this startup noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what this clicking/ticking sound may be? It happened on cold start this morning. By the time I started recording, I had already backed up a few feet and then rolled the window down to start recording, so it did it for a good 10-15 seconds at least, if not longer.

A couple people mentioned cam phasers, but it seems like a different sound and longer lasting than most cam phaser videos I've seen.

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought is it’s the driver’s side wastegate causing that noise. The now infamous cam phaser rattle does not sound like that nor does it last as long. Your dealer should be able to quickly resolve the issue for you. You can still drive your Raptor and not cause any damage.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought is it’s the driver’s side wastegate causing that noise. The now infamous cam phaser rattle does not sound like that nor does it last as long. Your dealer should be able to quickly resolve the issue for you. You can still drive your Raptor and not cause any damage.

sounds like waste gate to me.
Thank you both. So if it is the waste gate, would I be able to rattle it? I reached up there but it doesn't seem loose.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you both. So if it is the waste gate, would I be able to rattle it? I reached up there but it doesn't seem loose.

All modern engines are noisy during a cold start, especially direct injected turbocharged engines. The PCM is running through self tests, the lash adjusters are pumping up, the turbocharger wastegates are cycling, the high pressure fuel pump pump is building pressure, ignition timing is tailored to catalyst light off, etc. All of these sounds will be amplified in a closed structure like a garage. Properly functioning wastegate linkages are tight enough that you won’t feel lash unless there is an issue, but the tolerance stack up will still be heard of a cold start. What year is the truck?

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All modern engines are noisy during a cold start, especially direct injected turbocharged engines. The PCM is running through self tests, the lash adjusters are pumping up, the turbocharger wastegates are cycling, the high pressure fuel pump pump is building pressure, ignition timing is tailored to catalyst light off, etc. All of these sounds will be amplified in a closed structure like a garage. Properly functioning wastegate linkages are tight enough that you won’t feel lash unless there is an issue, but the tolerance stack up will still be heard of a cold start. What year is the truck?
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. It's a 2019 with a 4/19 build date. I've definitely heard some noises on a cold start, but nothing like this and it is always in the garage.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a video this morning on another cold start. I think the same noise starts at the 20 second mark and goes away after a few seconds?

I'm fine with noises, I just don't know how to distinguish good, normal noises from potentially bad, not normal noises.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems very common. Mine did it months ago for a few weeks but seems to have stopped now. My dealer looked it over but swore they couldn’t replicate (I trust them). They did change my oil and it’s probably a coincidence but it subsequently stopped.
Noticed yours starts the noise after start up fast idle ends, at that moment where the rpm drops. Mine did too. About 30 seconds in.
Now I have a weird chirp noise after the cold start rpm drop.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems very common. Mine did it months ago for a few weeks but seems to have stopped now. My dealer looked it over but swore they couldn’t replicate (I trust them). They did change my oil and it’s probably a coincidence but it subsequently stopped.
Noticed yours starts the noise after start up fast idle ends, at that moment where the rpm drops. Mine did too. About 30 seconds in.
Now I have a weird chirp noise after the cold start rpm drop.
I just ran by the dealership while I was out and showed both videos to my Service Advisor and he said based on the videos and without actually hearing it in person, it sounded like normal injector noise on a cold startup.

@FordTechOne what do you think of that assessment?