Is Full PPF Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very worth it, I learned the expensive way! I owned a $125k BMW that sustained numerous rock chips from a road repair site. I had it painted at BMW. two years later, I list it for sale. Unbeknownst to me there is a gizmo that measures paint thickness. I was told the gizmo is designed to determine if a vehicle sustained body damage. Everyone who looked at the BMW used the gizmo. Because of such, I had to sell it very close to low blue book. Consequently, my Raptor had $6k of PPF installed.

sdwindr1

Reaction score
Only if you are planning on actually really thrashing your truck.

I took mine to Baja with only the front end wrapped (never had a need for more). Flying through narrow trail gave both sides of my truck some beautiful and unique pinstriping. The protected front end looks like she’s a grocery getter. Not a single blemish.

Doing paint restoration and the rest of the sides in PPF before I take another trip down.

spudman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends what you trying to accomplish and how big is your wallet...

If you just trying to protect the paint? Probably not worth it.

For me personally, I paid to get satin matt grey color on my Raptor.
This is the reason I am considering it. Any chance you would share some pictures?

cplreyes

Reaction score
Very worth it, I learned the expensive way! I owned a $125k BMW that sustained numerous rock chips from a road repair site. I had it painted at BMW. two years later, I list it for sale. Unbeknownst to me there is a gizmo that measures paint thickness. I was told the gizmo is designed to determine if a vehicle sustained body damage. Everyone who looked at the BMW used the gizmo. Because of such, I had to sell it very close to low blue book. Consequently, my Raptor had $6k of PPF installed.
I could see that in that scenario. I don’t think that would apply to an off road truck. I would buy a truck at asking price with a pre runner bumper even though it’s been chopped.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to me. The way I look at it, the paint is there to protect the bodywork. If mine gets scratched to the point that it bothers me, I can have it repainted or wrapped. If not, I save a bundle.
cost $ 300 a panel to repaint so.....

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAD paint job!
Sold my tremor repainted ,using the gismo and they never figure out!

LennyMoe

Reaction score
Read @TheGreatPumpkin post #30 again.
Lol. If you think a phone is going to "shatter" from being dropped, you're crazy. Is the screen going to break? Possibly. Is the back glass going to break? Possibly. Is the phone still going to work? Absolutely.

Now, tell me again, how a cracked and scratched phone that still operates any different than a truck that still runs but has pinstriping down the sides and road rash on the front bumper any different.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Find out if your ins colony would factor that value in the cost should the truck get totaled. Coming from someone who has had 2 trucks totaled (not my fault) in the last 7 years & both of em loses up w/ mods & fairly low mileage…..I can’t say it’s “worth it”
Unless you’re damn sure confident you could recoup that cost in a total loss accident.

5 pages of responses didn’t bother to check if this was brought up yet, but it’s pretty much the only concern IMHO after what I experienced lol

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol. If you think a phone is going to "shatter" from being dropped, you're crazy. Is the screen going to break? Possibly. Is the back glass going to break? Possibly. Is the phone still going to work? Absolutely.
wait ..did you just lol @ the mention of a phone shattering if dropped and then admit in the next sentence that the screen could break?

Wtf?

Last edited: