Is Full PPF Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very worth it, I learned the expensive way! I owned a $125k BMW that sustained numerous rock chips from a road repair site. I had it painted at BMW. two years later, I list it for sale. Unbeknownst to me there is a gizmo that measures paint thickness. I was told the gizmo is designed to determine if a vehicle sustained body damage. Everyone who looked at the BMW used the gizmo. Because of such, I had to sell it very close to low blue book. Consequently, my Raptor had $6k of PPF installed.
You had the whole thing repainted or just some of it?

LennyMoe

Reaction score
wait ..did you just lol @ the mention of a phone shattering of dropped and then admit in the next sentence that the screen could break?

Wtf?
Look man, I'm a literal person. You said if you drop a phone, it will shatter, and that's not true. If you drop a phone from a normal, every day height, it's not going to shatter into a 1000 unusable pieces. It could crack the screen, but the phone will still be usable.

My point from my original post is that a screen protector and case are used to protect the cosmetics of a phone, JUST like PPF is used to protect the cosmetics of a vehicle. The 2nd point of my post was to show the percentage of cost a person is willing to pay to protect the cosmetics of a phone and the proportionate amount that would be to protect a new Raptor.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look man, I'm a literal person. You said if you drop a phone, it will shatter, and that's not true. If you drop a phone from a normal, every day height, it's not going to shatter into a 1000 unusable pieces. It could crack the screen, but the phone will still be usable.

My point from my original post is that a screen protector and case are used to protect the cosmetics of a phone, JUST like PPF is used to protect the cosmetics of a vehicle. The 2nd point of my post was to show the percentage of cost a person is willing to pay to protect the cosmetics of a phone and the proportionate amount that would be to protect a new Raptor.
Lenny ..you’re literally wrong. Just drop it and move on.

PeakPressureGarage

Reaction score
My truck is currently having full front and all fender flares PPF, and ceramic wax applied, lifetime warranty. About 4.5K.
My Jeep had so many pinstripes and rock chips which is ok, but an 85k truck I want to protect it.

Jenner1

Reaction score
My take is that it comes down to how your using your truck. Just highway and some light off-road then ppf the front, mirrors, headlights, etc.

This is going to be the new work truck and I put on a ton of miles on gravel almost every day in the oil and gas industry. I went with full Xpel on all the paint, had the bumpers and rockers Armorthane coated and Color matched with epoxy.

My last work truck only had ppf on the front and at 235k km’s the paint is destroyed so it made sense for me to spend the money on added protection.

One other consideration is the cost of work in your area, a factory spec paint job where all trim, door handles etc is removed costs around 16k and I had the entire truck wrapped for 6k. Keep in mind that's Canadian not US but I’ve heard of some people paying 8k US for a full wrap.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAD paint job!
Sold my tremor repainted ,using the gismo and they never figure out!
I don‘t know enough the paint process to comment. However, not only did the BMW body shop do the work, it cost Allstate $17k to have it painted. I am very OCD about my vehicles and to the eye it was a perfect match. After I finally sold the car I did a little research on the factory paint process. The way I recall is everything is Computer controlled at the factory and when the vehicle goes through the paint process, the computer uniformally determines the thickness of the paint. Although I do not know it for a fact, I believe it would be almost impossible to duplicate outside the factory.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just the hood and front bumper painted area. I can’t remember the difference between low and high KBB, but it was definitely a lot more than PPF.
I think PPF on the front end is necessary in most cases but full PPF doesn’t make sense to me. I would never PPF or wrap a whole car.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think PPF on the front end is necessary in most cases but full PPF doesn’t make sense to me. I would never PPF or wrap a whole car.
To each his own! I take my CO to Moab and when another ORV passes, they kick up debris, plus I hate swirl marks. The truck cost me $90k and 6% to HELP protect it is worth it.