GEN 2 Is a 3" Exhaust Really Worth It?

Is a 3" cat back system alone worth $800 - $1400 without addressing upstream?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been researching the hell out of aftermarket accessories for my new truck and the main item that
I'm not sold on is putting a 3" exhaust on my Raptor.

1. I would love to get some extra volume, but of all the systems I've heard, the only 2 I thought were
close to decent were the Corsa and the MBRP Street Series cat back systems. However, they still kind
of had that "fart can" sound to them that wasn't "ballsy" enough.

2. How much power can you really get out of going from a 2.75" OEM exhaust to a 3" aftermarket? Can't
be much, which is why I hardly see anyone posting gains on their websites. I'd be hard pressed to
believe someone can feel 7 HP and 10lb-ft of torque.......I don't see you getting that or more, unless
you replace plumbing components like the turbo adapter, the restrictive & bent downpipe, and the
cats...

So, I reach out to you guys to ask, is it worth to do the cat back if you don't do the upstream components?
Would like your thoughts. I'm going to start with a aFe CAI, and the SDP turbo adapter to see what that yields. Cheap and easy mods.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CAIs and 3" exhaust are not worth it for performance reasons. They are good for increased sound, but even that is subjective. Our trucks are not restricted by our intakes or the size of the exhaust. The cheapest air intake mod is a high flow air filter since the intake is really not a restriction. SPD TAs have shown some minor HP increases and since they are rather inexpensive, they should be considered.

Your biggest bang for the buck, by far, is the tune and MPT is the leading choice on this forum.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t waste your money. You are not going to see any significant gains to justify the money you spend. Just go get a tune and be done. Save your money for new wheels and tires or lighting.

BajaLaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Flowmaster FX muffler and Corsa xpipe on my Shelby Baja, it sounds amazing. Even better than my full Borla system I had on my 13 3.5eb f150. The truck cane built with the muffler so I figured that adding a full system wouldn’t do much of anything. Instead I purchased the xpipe and took out the stock resonator. Thing sounds like a beast.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you do more mods such as tune, intake, etc. you won't see much improvement with just an cat back exhaust. The stock exhaust is decent with the stock motor as is. If you are wanting to have the biggest bang for you buck go with a tune.

ianerrid

Reaction score
I have the Ford Performance Sport and Whipple intake and it sounds nicer but subjectively isn't quicker although I haven't dyno tested it yet.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I know this is hard to believe, but THE WIFE told me it sounded wimpy at the dealership, and she wanted it to sound meaner....f(for reference, she calls her 2016 Yukon Denali "Beastie" with the 6.2L, an aFe Momentum GT CAI, and the Borla exhaust, lift, RockStar II's, bigger tires, etc).....so I ended up getting the S&B CAI, the SPD turbo adapters, and the MBRP Street Series 3" exhaust anyway:confused:... to be prepared for the end of my 3 yr/36,000m warranty when I'll get a tune and replace the downpipes.........appreciate the advice, but couldn't have her calling my truck wimpy!

I have heard a Pedal Commander can do alot in the meantime, undetected, prior to a real tune as well. Still looking into that.......

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the PC and I liked it. (Got rid of it because I got a tune). You will get lots of posts from people saying it is snake oil and not real. It definitely gets rid of the lag and makes the truck more fun to drive. However, Ford has the ability to record variances in the truck’s driving mannerisms thanks to Ford Pass. So technically they can tell that you had a PC installed. Whether they can argue that it affected something else is the big question.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding a CAI and /or a muffler does nothing. The truck isn’t restricted on intake or exhaust and if you add more intake or exhaust without making other changes does nothing.

It is a system and everything works together. Save your money for tires and a tune if you are brave enough to risk the potential warranty issue.