GEN 1 Intermittent Knocking...VVT Solenoid first then Sprocket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That knocking sound sounds like it's just one cylinder to me.
I really don't believe it's a timing chain or cam phaser issue.

I would concentrate more on sticking injectors, weak coils, spark plugs and wires and valve springs.
When was the last time you put some good injector cleaner in and cleaned the MAF sensor.

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
I havent done either of those yet. I have q cam of spray seafoam I was going to run through whem I get it back together.

Would those issues you mentioned throw error codes though? Because I have no check engine lights and firscan has no dtcs.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That SeaFoam is only for air intake tract and combustion chamber.
You also need something like,
Amazon.com: Chevron Techron 12 oz. Fuel System Cleaner (2 Pack): Automotive
And Starton Enzyme Fuel Treatment.
This is what I use once a year.

The values might not be high enough to throw codes, it's a short knocking.
I found one YouTube video with a broken valve spring on a 6.2L
He does a pretty good job at showing what to look for on a scanner, it's worth a look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
So I got everything back together and I noticed some grease slung on the skid plate. Clearly from a pulley or belt based on shape.

Tracked it back to the AC compressor. There is sludge coming from between the 2 pieces. I released the tension and turned it by hand and it snags on something and with some force and back and forth I can force it past.

Ac usually comes on once in awhile when your defrost is on so maybe that why it's so intermittent.

Strange noise to be coming from an AC unit though so my hopes aren't really up but it's something to try next.

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
If it's the bearings in the clutch of the AC unit could it still make my clunking even without being engaged?

I will try turning off the heat and see if it makes noise

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's the bearings in the clutch of the AC unit could it still make my clunking even without being engaged?

I will try turning off the heat and see if it makes noise
Nope, the compressor doesn't pump if its not engaged, it just free wheels if the clutch doesn't engage the compressor.

HDmech

Reaction score
I’ve owned a 2010 raptor for a week and half so this is my 1st post and don’t wanna to get off on the wrong foot but I think OP should be checkin oil pressure. I have 3 modular engines and when I start having valve train noise, variable valve timing issues or unusual timing chain noises 1st thing I do is hook up oil pressure gauge w/10’ hose routed into cab and go for a drive. Get it good and hot and see what it is at idle in drive. Anything less than 25psi I’m changing it out.
Just sayin you should know exactly where you stand with oil pressure before rippin covers off. Hope you figure it out.