GEN 1 Intermittent Knocking...VVT Solenoid first then Sprocket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitt1al

Reaction score
So i haven't found a whole lot of information out there about issues with the Gen 1 VVT Solenoid and Sprocket so hopefully you can tell me if Im heading the right direction.

When I start my truck up it sounds fine while in its high idle warmup mode. When it kicks down to regular idle it will make a knocking noise for 5 or 10 seconds then go away. It doesnt always do it. Initial research led me to Phaser issues on the Gen 2 but not much came up about Gen 1s.

I dont seem to have a loss of power or noise when driving but it just started doing this noise and Im betting before long more issues will arise.

So I was thinking, before going as far as replacing the Variable Timing Sprocket that I would start by changing my oil, putting a new oil filter in, and replacing the VVT Solenoid under the tappet covers.

Do you think this has any chance of fixing my issue? Or should I just dive in and replace the sprockets as well?

Is there a method to flush the Variable Timing Sprocket without pulling it out?

Is it worth trying to find if its just 1 side, or should I just go ahead and do both sides at the same time?

I have about 36 hours to complete the work and have a full garage and plenty of experience from an RX7 I built. Just havent really tore into the Raptor yet.

Thanks in Advance,

Adam

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I have no error codes currently.

I do have Forscan so hopefully that will also help clarify the issue.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6.2L all do this, I believe it's because at startup it dumps a lot of fuel to lubricate the cylinder walls and rings.
This is the same thing a carburetor with a choke does, you need that rich mix for initial start.
Then the PCM will lean it out once started and it takes a few seconds to adjust the AFR.
Keep in mind the PCM is doing hundreds of checks at startup.

Changing to soft start and Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil,
stopped that little knocking and the valves tapping for a few seconds at startup for me.

I also changed the oil weight from 5-W20 to 5-W30 last oil change,
I've been hesitant to do this for years but quite a few Raptor owners are doing this and no one been complaining.
And I can say I picked up about a 1/2 mpg. so I'm liking that as a bonus.

Now I'm not quite sure which years the soft start option is available to you.
I have a 2010 1/2 and soft start it's not available,
so since I'm running the Whipple Tune I had Whipple adjust the rpm at startup to 1000 rpm.
And my neighbors like that too. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
Mine isn't just the lifter tick or injector tick. This isn't one of the common 6.2 noises. I've had it for about a year and it only started doing this this week. It's a rough loud knocking when my engine comes out of warm up mode.

I'm like 75% sure it's variable timing related. I need to hook up forscan and see if I can figure out how to see the variable error. Hopefully I'm heading dow. The correct path.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine isn't just the lifter tick or injector tick. This isn't one of the common 6.2 noises. I've had it for about a year and it only started doing this this week. It's a rough loud knocking when my engine comes out of warm up mode.

I'm like 75% sure it's variable timing related. I need to hook up forscan and see if I can figure out how to see the variable error. Hopefully I'm heading dow. The correct path.
The lower knock is what I was talking about, the lifters ticking I just added in.
The injectors always make noise.

I would look at coils, spark plugs and injectors before playing with cam phasers and timing chains.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
Well I change my oil and filter. Hooked up forscan and monitored the error for both cams and the requested advance. They mirrored each other almost identically. Error stayed below 1 degree except when accelerating or letting off the gas. Even when my engine started making the knocking noise at idle my error stayed dead on. Nothing stood out.

So I think my VVT system is fine. The noise really seems to come from under the passenger tappet cover.

Would a bad timing change cause q knocking noise if it was picking up slack? Would I see that in forscan on the cam error?

I need to sleep for a couple hours but I'm gonna pull the tappet cover off next unless you guys have any ideas.

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
Yiutube link to the sound. It's a couple seconds into the video. That noise comes and goes at idle. Maybe once every couple minutes.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if you have a bad rocker arm, can definitely here the noise in the video, just a guess at my end, I'm no expert.