Intercooler install tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

choppersando0

Reaction score
I installed the SVC intercooler over the weekend and driving home last night I got a check engine light. When I read it it’s for EGR temperature sensor. Any ideas on what the cause was or how to fix it?

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an aftermarket intercooler on their gen 3 yet? I’ve been watching videos and reading about it but was curious if anyone had any tips or short cuts. I was hoping not to take off the bumper (for time savings) but it looks like everything is a tight fit.

I went with SVC but their instructions are for a gen 2. I assume it’s not that much difference on the install.

Any tricks or shortcuts I should be aware of?

I plan to install once the weather warms up just a bit.
I have a mishimoto inter cooler installed on my gen 3. You would remove the stock intercooler like the gen 2 and there is a piece of plastic you have to remove for the aftermarket intercooler to fit. I took it down by removing the skid plates and dropping the intercooler mount. 3 hrs total time to remove and install.

Raptor513

Reaction score
Ive done it. Its actually easy. The Gen 3 bumper comes off with 3 bolts on each side, no need to remove the plastic in the center of the grill like you did on the gen 2 bumper.

The actual grill is held by 6 bolts and some press in plastic snaps under the hood. Then just body clips and 1 small bolt on each side connected to the headlight.

The biggest slow down was cutting out the plastic for the grill. I cut out a ton haha and it was sketchy but I did it.

It took about 3 hours, if i did it again I could do it in 30 mins aside from cutting out the grill.

I went with Cobb - really want to install but finding 4 hours is seemingly impossible. Does the bumper really need to come off? Would appreciate any and all tips on install without taking bumper off.

Do you think I could knock it out in 2 hours?

8250_RPM

Reaction score
Installed the Cobb and can confirm that the bumper does NOT need to be removed. Because it was my first time doing something like this, I took my time, read through the instructions very carefully, and spent (way) more than three hours. If I had to do it again, I could probably knock it out in a day. Also, the instructions aren’t application exact and don’t get into the cutting of the grille support itself which I had to figure out from a single video from some dude on YT. Cobb was literally no help in this matter and wasn’t aware that the support had to be modified. The grille support simply doesn’t fit without trimming. Otherwise, their products are very nicely designed and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. The resulting performance after IC install was well worth it.