Intercooler install tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed an aftermarket intercooler on their gen 3 yet? I’ve been watching videos and reading about it but was curious if anyone had any tips or short cuts. I was hoping not to take off the bumper (for time savings) but it looks like everything is a tight fit.

I went with SVC but their instructions are for a gen 2. I assume it’s not that much difference on the install.

Any tricks or shortcuts I should be aware of?

I plan to install once the weather warms up just a bit.

flwrappeder

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an aftermarket intercooler on their gen 3 yet? I’ve been watching videos and reading about it but was curious if anyone had any tips or short cuts. I was hoping not to take off the bumper (for time savings) but it looks like everything is a tight fit.

I went with SVC but their instructions are for a gen 2. I assume it’s not that much difference on the install.

Any tricks or shortcuts I should be aware of?

I plan to install once the weather warms up just a bit.
Mine is still sitting in the garage in the box. I just haven’t had the time to start on it. I was also waiting on my blow off valve which came in Saturday. It’s just nuts and bolts man. If I beat you to it I’ll let you know of any issues I come across. Part of me wants to wait till spring, that and my garage is stacked full of flooring,tile, and fixtures for a pool house were currently building.

OP
OP
W

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is still sitting in the garage in the box. I just haven’t had the time to start on it. I was also waiting on my blow off valve which came in Saturday. It’s just nuts and bolts man. If I beat you to it I’ll let you know of any issues I come across. Part of me wants to wait till spring, that and my garage is stacked full of flooring,tile, and fixtures for a pool house were currently building.

Nice. I doubt it will be that difficult. I looked over the truck a bit ago and seems straightforward. I might jump on it this coming Friday, the weather should be decent.

ChaseH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done it. Its actually easy. The Gen 3 bumper comes off with 3 bolts on each side, no need to remove the plastic in the center of the grill like you did on the gen 2 bumper.

The actual grill is held by 6 bolts and some press in plastic snaps under the hood. Then just body clips and 1 small bolt on each side connected to the headlight.

The biggest slow down was cutting out the plastic for the grill. I cut out a ton haha and it was sketchy but I did it.

It took about 3 hours, if i did it again I could do it in 30 mins aside from cutting out the grill.

Raptor1111

Reaction score
Does this add any noticeable performance gain? Is it mainly for sustained hard driving to keep things "cooler?" Please excuse my inexperience. I haver never used a different intercooler.

However, thanks for the install tips + pics. You make it look very straightforward and simple. Thanks again!

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this add any noticeable performance gain? Is it mainly for sustained hard driving to keep things "cooler?" Please excuse my inexperience. I haver never used a different intercooler.

However, thanks for the install tips + pics. You make it look very straightforward and simple. Thanks again!

According to the dyno by Livernois an intercooler only adds 60hp peak gains but that's in a semi controlled environment. After tuning is available I will do the intercooler, piping and intake at one time. A good set of downpipes would be nice as well.