Installation of SDHQ Rear Frame Reinforcement Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger do you know if you would have to take the SDHQ Rear Frame Reinforcement Kit off_if you decide to go RPG later on?

Haven't a clue.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

About 500 cuss words later I finally was able to maneuver the thing out. I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt to install the parallelogram again.

You could have shaved that to 250 cuss words if you had a magnet handy!

OK, do what I told you. Leave the inner parallelogram and the outer plug bolted together. Feed the parrallelogram into the hole, flip it verticle, and snug down the bolt. Do not cuss. It damages the paint.

Last edited:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Second time's the charm. That brake wire really ******* hurts though. After installing, I will add a few things if you don't mind, Ruger.

The kit is certainly constructed of high quality materials and you can tell just by feel. Although the kit is well designed, it can be improved. In my opinion SDHQ can and should round off the corners of the parallelogram more. Why? Well, after my first attempt of a failed install yesterday for 2 hours I have finally managed to complete the install today in 30 minutes. How? I kept the parallelogram attached to the oval piece when inserting into the frame and then used a ton of strength to stuff the parallelogram in there. In order to do this, you must tighten the bolt so that it is BARELY on 1 or 2 threads. Then, separate the oval piece and parallelogram as far as the length of the bolt. Now, make sure you insert the parallelogram from the front direction of the truck. While doing so, make sure that the side of the parallelogram that is facing the front of the truck is also facing upwards meaning that the acute angle is up. Then, jam it in real hard like you did last night. This is the reason why the angles should be rounded off just a tad bit more. If they had been rounded off, the jamming process would be a lot easier. Overall, the install is easy. Basically, a blind person could do it because it's all based on feel and not much sight involved.

I highly recommend you remove the tires in order to install the long piece of the kit. It is much easier for you to be able to reach under the truck and also find the screw points on the outside of the frame.

If I were to do it again, it'd probably take me 45 minutes max.

As far as the kit enhancing any frame strength, it's questionable. I'm no engineer so I cannot really understand how it is designed to function. The only sort of way that this enhances frame rigidity from my basic understanding is that it adds another piece of metal to hold the part of the frame that is under force when the jounce bumper is being used.

Good luck to you all. And as always, I appreciate the help.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If anyone does this I'd recommend the following:

Slide the bar in from front to rear. Both sides went in much smoother.

Bolt the oval and diamond together and insert. Then loosen the bolt (not all the way) and pull the oval out and line up.

Looking back I definitely could've done both sides in under an hour if I had read this thread again before starting. That and the OCD of pulling swamp grass out from everything.