Installation of SDHQ Rear Frame Reinforcement Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A short commentary on the installation of the SDHQ Ford Raptor Frame Reinforcement Kit, Item Number SDHQ-13-1404. Price is $100.00, with a $12 charge for shipping.

What you get: Two frame bolsters that bolt to the inside of the outer frame rails, and two frame cut-out plugs that bolt to the frame cut-outs on the inner frame rails just over the bump-stop. The kit comes with grade 8 bolts. (Why Ford put a cut-out right above the bump-stops is a real head-scratcher, but this kit addresses that shortcoming.) First photo shows the kit.

What you will need: A ratchet, a 3/4" socket, a 9/16" socket, and a 9/16" box end wrench. You'll also need light, some finger dexterity, and a little patience.

What you won't need is to jack up the truck or remove the rear wheels. I did this on the floor of the garage without recourse to a jack.

The long frame bolsters are inserted into the frame through the cut-out, so of course they need to be installed first. SDHQ helps you orient the bolsters correctly by cutting an arrow into them. The arrow points forward and the flat side of the bolster goes on the bottom. With that information it's pretty hard to install them incorrectly.

There are obstructions that you have to deal with in feeding the bolsters through the frame cut-outs. On the left side there are a couple of brake lines that you need to pull out of the rubber holder and flex a bit to get the left side bolster through the cut-out. On the right side the obstruction is the exhaust system. (Don't do this installation with a hot exhaust system. You'll only burn yourself and have to wait until the exhaust cools off.)

It may take a little trial and error to get the bolsters through the frame cut-outs. There are probably 20 ways to fail and two ways to get it right. Once the bolsters are inside the frame rails, you'll need to position them so that the bolt holes orient to the diagonal slots in the outer surface of the frame. You can do this pretty readily by feel, as the bolsters use pretty big bolts and the bolt holes are easy to feel with your fingertips.

Once you've got the orientation, thread one bolt part-way in. (second photo) It's now your handle to hold the bolster in place. I used some Lock Tite on all six bolts. I applied it to the second bolt, fed it all the way in until it was finger tight, and then backed out the first bolt, put the Lock Tite on its threads, and then fed it until it was finger tight. Snug both bolts down with a 3/4" socket on your ratchet, and that's how to install the outer frame bolsters.

The frame cut-out plugs need a little finesse, too. The inner part is very hard to orient properly once you've got it inside the frame rail. The way I did it was to keep it bolted to the plug so that I could use the bolt connecting the inner and outer pieces as a handle. Again, it takes a little dexterity and patience to get the inner piece inside the rail this way, but it can be done. Once the inner piece is inside, a pinky finger can flip it around to the correct orientation. Then a 9/16" tool is all you need to tighten her up. Due to clearance issues with the exhaust on the right side, a ratchet and socket won't fit. That's what the 9/16" end wrench is for. The third photo shows the frame plug installed with the shiney bolt in the middle. That's the bump-stop at the bottom of the frame, and the exhaust at the top of the frame.

If you were really coordinated and had marvelous dexterity, you might be able to finish this installation in a half-hour. If you have only normal skills, 45 minutes. So naturally it took me an hour. (I was taking photos, though.) Don't forget to put the brake lines back in their little rubber keeper on the left side.

This is a cleverly engineered kit, and the quality of design and manufacture is plain to see. I think it does a very good job of addressing the peculiar design of the rear frame at the bump-stop, and might even reduce frame damage in the event of a heavy rear-end collision. Recommended? You betcha!

Attachments

• HPIM0157.jpg
    HPIM0157.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 360
  • HPIM0158.jpg
    HPIM0158.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 385
  • HPIM0159.jpg
    HPIM0159.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks EK and Jason. I was beginning to wonder if I'd done something wrong, 'cause over 150 people had viewed this and I'd only gotten one like from Farfromstock.

Jason if you'd comment on the use of thread lock and if you have any torque guidance for the bolts, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger, thanks man. I'll be installing these next week. I appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sure thing, Humvee. Just be patient as you feed the frame braces into the cutouts. You may cuss a little, but you will get it done.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger great write up!

Just finished installing mine and thought I'd add a bit.

As Ruger mentioned there are about 20 wrong ways to get the long outer frame braces through the hole. After about 15 minutes of finding all the wrong ways I stumbled upon a right way. If you orient the plate horizontal, with the cutout side pointing in / nuts up they slide in pretty easy. Was done with the other side in 2 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Correction, the nuts are down when the plates oriented correctly.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger great write up!

Just finished installing mine and thought I'd add a bit.

As Ruger mentioned there are about 20 wrong ways to get the long outer frame braces through the hole. After about 15 minutes of finding all the wrong ways I stumbled upon a right way. If you orient the plate horizontal, with the cutout side pointing in / nuts up they slide in pretty easy. Was done with the other side in 2 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Correction, the nuts are down when the plates oriented correctly.

you said nuts up

I say **** up

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger, nice write-up, but I’ll be the first to tell you this was a PITA to install. I have had these frame reinforcements for a while, but I was waiting to install them until had my exhaust modified with the turndowns in front of the axles.

Yes the passenger side was easy since I didn’t have fight with the tail pipe, but still a ****** to align those holes up, but the driver side was hell due to the brake lines and trying to get my fingers in there to line up the holes, but after cussing & swearing for about 45 minutes I got it done.

Though I would recommend with having a second person to help with lining up the holes, since every time I aligned it up and reached for the bolt, it would move and I would have to start over & over & over. Did I tell you this was a PITA?

Again your write up was spot on!

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks EK and Jason. I was beginning to wonder if I'd done something wrong, 'cause over 150 people had viewed this and I'd only gotten one like from Farfromstock.

Jason if you'd comment on the use of thread lock and if you have any torque guidance for the bolts, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

As of now we haven't seen a need for using loctite on the bolts because we have yet to see any come loose. However; for that added piece of mind a small amount of red loctite on the threads can be used. As far as torque specs, we normally go to 40 on the 3/8" and 80 on the 1/2" bolts.