I'm over this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My ‘03 Hemi quad cab Thunderroad had only the 26 gallon tank. While an average size for a 1500, that first year 5.7 Hemi drank like nobody’s business. Averaged 11-12mpg combined. Straight highway pulling my drag car/trailer @5500lbs it did average up to 16mpg. Just average stop and go killed range. Always at the pump with that truck.

Mine was a 2500 standard cab longbed with the same motor. She was a thirsty old girl. I got 13 combined in the winter, 14 in the summer, but I had the standard tranny and that's usually good for a couple of mpg. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't beat the 10-speed in normal mode today, it seems too well tuned for mileage. How many computers and how much software and how much expensive hardware does it take to beat a country boy using hundred-year-old tech? LOL

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was a 2500 standard cab longbed with the same motor. She was a thirsty old girl. I got 13 combined in the winter, 14 in the summer, but I had the standard tranny and that's usually good for a couple of mpg. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't beat the 10-speed in normal mode today, it seems too well tuned for mileage. How many computers and how much software and how much expensive hardware does it take to beat a country boy using hundred-year-old tech? LOL

No complaint about the older Hemi 5.7 other than yea it likes to drink. Had the 5 speed back then, 3.92 gear’s. 250+ to 300 mile range LOL

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No complaint about the older Hemi 5.7 other than yea it likes to drink. Had the 5 speed back then, 3.92 gear’s. 250+ to 300 mile range LOL

Still rolling in my 2006 WK Hemi with 213K. Reliable and quick, but by no means efficient even with the MDS. Averages 13.8, 17 on a long trip. The 2" lift and 32's probably don't help.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still rolling in my 2006 WK Hemi with 213K. Reliable and quick, but by no means efficient even with the MDS. Averages 13.8, 17 on a long trip. The 2" lift and 32's probably don't help.

The motors and trans certainly do hold up. I gave mine meticulous care and maintenance. It was a 2WD street truck. The rear did half grenade, and over the years alot of the interior literally crumpled, along with a bit of the ventilation system inside. Still blew cold though LOL complete front end needed rebuilding by 90k as well. But I think overall it was a good reliable truck and put 160k on it. Wish MDS existed back then. Sold it for pretty good money too.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to beat the 36g tank of the SCREW for range. Ford even years ago had dual tanks in many F-150’s.

Just some good forward thinking even back then.
Yes I agree. I had a nice 79 F150 4x4 with the 300 6 and it had 2 tanks from the factory.

OP
OP
txgunsntrucks

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want a super cab with a 5.5' bed... That is literally the most useless combo of pickup truck for anything other than "off-road" driving. I would strongly recommend buying a 4Runner or something similar as you obviously have no need for a pick up truck let alone any more reasons to bitch about literally nothing. Good luck kid.

I strongly suggest buying another supercab with shorter bed. Fits my needs perfectly, kid.