If you're interested in paint coatings I'll get you sorted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lars464

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimmell,
I will be having the ceramic treatment done next week. I have been asking several companies how many coats they apply. The answer is never the same. It ranges between 1 and 4 coats. Is there a standard number of coats to apply? Or maybe it depends on the product line you are using?

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimmell,
I will be having the ceramic treatment done next week. I have been asking several companies how many coats they apply. The answer is never the same. It ranges between 1 and 4 coats. Is there a standard number of coats to apply? Or maybe it depends on the product line you are using?

It really depends on the brand and what results you're after. I always apply 2 coats of CQuartz. Some guys will apply a coat of CQuartz UK and then regular CQuartz to get the warmth of CQuartz while having the durable layer of UK as the base coat. Or they will do two coats of UK and one coat of classic. Or one coat of UK and the two coats of classic. It really depends. Some brands of coating have multiple coatings that are applied together like base coat and then top coat. Too many variables to go through every brand but you get the idea. Expect 2 coats. If you're getting less than 2 coats then they are shorting you.

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shop in the Lincoln/Omaha NE area? I've been wanting to get this done but have been on the fence about it. I have a friend that works for the city roads dept. He said their winter Brine mix that they put on the roads up here is so corrosive, that they can't even let it set in their trucks overnight. Thanks for your time that you have put in and your explanations. Lots to be learned onot this thread.

mane3215

Reaction score
I am looking into coating my truck and it is a bit difficult to find what I am looking for. I found a place semi-local to do the Ceramic Pro Diamond package on my truck which is 10 coats of Ceramic pro 9H and 2 coats of Ceramic Pro Light as well as the windows etc. for 3100.00

Does this seem right? Does anyone have qualified installers of a ceramic coating in Baltimore, MD?

1Wolf

Reaction score
Yeah, everyone has their own opinion about coatings. Overtime coatings will simply wear away with washing, breakdown from the UV rays and any chemicals you use when cleaning. I haven't heard of them changing the clear coat and I certainly haven't heard of it causing any issues with the gloss. Every coating should increase the gloss similar to what it would look like with a very high quality wax applied. Hard water spots are easily removed. I washed, prepped, polished and coated a Black 16' Ram 2500 diesel for a friend of mine at Christmas that he had just washed at home without drying. Further more their water treatment system was messed up and it left a heavy coating of minerals. Not just spots. The entire truck was covered in a film.

I use CarPro's water spot remover. There are similar products from other brands out there. You simply spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes and I will then spray the entire area with waterless wash and gently wipe the area with a double thickness edgeless towel and repeat as needed. It took a good couple of hours on his truck but it was super safe for the paint and it made less work when it came time to polishing.

Thanks again Trimmel. Well, I met with Kevin (Person who does their coatings) and Jeff (The owner) at AutoImage in Barrington, IL on Saturday and I have to say, so far, these guys are great. My opinion may change if I run into any trouble, but so far, Kevin seems like he absolutely loves what he does, seems extremely knowledgeable, and very proud of the work he does. It all seems more art than science. I got to see plenty of samples of their work on plenty of cars that I could never afford...lol. They showed me samples of a hood done with various coatings. They went over some of the goods & bads of the different coatings they offer, and made their own recommendation. Based on talking to them, and the samples they showed, I'm most likely going to have them do the Modesta coating.

I had told you I'd report back once they gave me a quote. They quoted me $1450 to do the coating, and they'd coat the paint, the wheels, and the trim & such around the wheel wells. Also, an additional $200 to prep the truck.

Last edited:

HUFN8OR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimmell,

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Ceramic Pro 9H + Lite here in the Houston area. I like the guy I've been talking with and he seems to know his stuff, but he has not done a 2017 Raptor.

Are there any tips, tricks or gotchas to pass along to others doing their first 2017 Raptor? I'm just thinking particulars like: the hood cowling, the rear appliqué, the fender flares, side vents, rubber trim around side windows, best method to get to hard to reach areas etc. Any of those items or areas that have been tricky or shouldn't be coated or other "lessons learned" that could be passed along?

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shop in the Lincoln/Omaha NE area? I've been wanting to get this done but have been on the fence about it. I have a friend that works for the city roads dept. He said their winter Brine mix that they put on the roads up here is so corrosive, that they can't even let it set in their trucks overnight. Thanks for your time that you have put in and your explanations. Lots to be learned onot this thread.

Sorry for taking so long guys. Things have been crazy the last few weeks.

Check out Exotic Detail! (402)578-7231. I don't think you should have any issues with your coating and the ice melt they use here in the Midwest. They are very resistant to damage from chemicals.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I am looking into coating my truck and it is a bit difficult to find what I am looking for. I found a place semi-local to do the Ceramic Pro Diamond package on my truck which is 10 coats of Ceramic pro 9H and 2 coats of Ceramic Pro Light as well as the windows etc. for 3100.00

Does this seem right? Does anyone have qualified installers of a ceramic coating in Baltimore, MD?

Is the "semi-local" place Atomic Auto Salon in Columbia? $3,100 for correction and 12 coats of coating doesn't seem too bad. 12 coats is a lot of coating. 2-3 is pretty common.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Thanks again Trimmel. Well, I met with Kevin (Person who does their coatings) and Jeff (The owner) at AutoImage in Barrington, IL on Saturday and I have to say, so far, these guys are great. My opinion may change if I run into any trouble, but so far, Kevin seems like he absolutely loves what he does, seems extremely knowledgeable, and very proud of the work he does. It all seems more art than science. I got to see plenty of samples of their work on plenty of cars that I could never afford...lol. They showed me samples of a hood done with various coatings. They went over some of the goods & bads of the different coatings they offer, and made their own recommendation. Based on talking to them, and the samples they showed, I'm most likely going to have them do the Modesta coating.

I had told you I'd report back once they gave me a quote. They quoted me $1450 to do the coating, and they'd coat the paint, the wheels, and the trim & such around the wheel wells. Also, an additional $200 to prep the truck.

Sounds like a pretty decent deal! Seeing a 50/50 coated/uncoated hood goes a long ways with showing you the benefits. $1,650 is definitely inline with what I have seen. Not bad for wheels, trim and glass. Closer to $2k is what I would expect but they are giving you a good deal.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Trimmell,

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Ceramic Pro 9H + Lite here in the Houston area. I like the guy I've been talking with and he seems to know his stuff, but he has not done a 2017 Raptor.

Are there any tips, tricks or gotchas to pass along to others doing their first 2017 Raptor? I'm just thinking particulars like: the hood cowling, the rear appliqué, the fender flares, side vents, rubber trim around side windows, best method to get to hard to reach areas etc. Any of those items or areas that have been tricky or shouldn't be coated or other "lessons learned" that could be passed along?

The biggest thing to be careful with is to only get coating on stuff you want coated. For example, as they are applying coating around the window seals, mirrors, bed caps etc. if they aren't careful and get the applicator up on the plastic you will have little strips of glossy plastic. If you're getting the entire truck coated then it's not a big deal. Any of the textured plastic kinda tricky to coat evenly without getting "shadows" where the coating isn't applied evenly.

In regards to hard to reach areas I have some little tiny plastic sticks that have a little soft foam applicator at the end that I have used a lot to get into tight areas. A lot of people will just try to make a clean pass close to the area and they will leave the hard to reach area uncoated. I always make sure to cover every single bit of the panel. Sometimes you just have to think out of the box. Some cars have been a bit of a challenge but I welcome the challenge!

mane3215

Reaction score
Is the "semi-local" place Atomic Auto Salon in Columbia? $3,100 for correction and 12 coats of coating doesn't seem too bad. 12 coats is a lot of coating. 2-3 is pretty common.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Its actually Pro Form Auto in Ellicott City. About 50 minutes from me in Baltimore. I was heading there because they do expel also, so I plan on having the coating done then the expel applied to the entire front. It ends up being about 5300.00.

Should I just do 2-3 coats? He quoted me 1295 for 1 coat of 9H and 1 coat of light and 295.00 for each additional coat of 94.

I don't know anything about ceramic coatings, but what I like to do is overkill and be safe =). If its really not needed though, I will do less.

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its actually Pro Form Auto in Ellicott City. About 50 minutes from me in Baltimore. I was heading there because they do expel also, so I plan on having the coating done then the expel applied to the entire front. It ends up being about 5300.00.

Should I just do 2-3 coats? He quoted me 1295 for 1 coat of 9H and 1 coat of light and 295.00 for each additional coat of 94.

I don't know anything about ceramic coatings, but what I like to do is overkill and be safe =). If its really not needed though, I will do less.

Thanks for the info!

Each coat is extremely thin. So, in theory the more coats the better but I just get concerned with having that many coats bond properly to each other, flash properly and stay perfectly clear. 2-3 coats is kind of the standard. I would recommend 2 coats of 9h and 1 coat of light. That should be enough. Proper maintenance washes will make sure that is more than enough coating. The extra layers would be nice as it will give you more coating that you can repair with ic you end up with micro scratches.