If I were going to "compare" shocks, how would I do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I say we hit a whoop section in Barstow on Saturday for a good ol' fashion comparison!

Who's in?
LOL!! Not eexxaacctly what I had in mind, but that'll work :peace:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah hell... I could build one of those. Hmm....

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a machine car manufacturers use to test the ride quality. I know for Hummer they tested the suspension for off road terrain and such by using a machine that would hold each wheel on all 4 corners and compress the suspension simulating off road terrain. If you can get a hold of one of these machines, I'd think you would have a much more controlled environment and less error.

Testing NVH on the Raptor
TFLcar.com - Ford Raptor Suspension Testing - YouTube

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shock Dyno Demo - YouTube

Pretty much exactly what you are looking for.
He's exactly right, by the way; at 2:50, he starts talking about exactly what I'm trying to wrap my head around here. The dyno tests really wouldn't mean anything without the practical tests to go with them. And its those on-road (in the dirt) tests I'm particularly interested in.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Bingo. That's *exactly* why tests like what I'm talking about have proven to be so valuable. Does anyone *really* understand WTF he's talking about toward the end of that video? The camera guy asks him a simple question, and he answers it but in a way that is total geekspeak, and that doesn't let me "compare" it to anything. It just is what it is.

I'm talking about bridging that gap. I'm talking about simple tests or graphs or even better, pictures, I can pull up side by side and compare. And then decide what's right for me.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's exactly right, by the way; at 2:50, he starts talking about exactly what I'm trying to wrap my head around here. The dyno tests really wouldn't mean anything without the practical tests to go with them. And its those on-road (in the dirt) tests I'm particularly interested in.

I'll talk about what I know. Road Racing.

G-Force meter that reads sideways and front to back. Data log it all. Then drive around the track. Put obsticales in your way in the parking lot. 2x4's (drive over them), 2" thick rope 100ft long create a snake with it and drive over the snake, accelerate, brake and score it. All tests would need to be done at the same speed to be accurate. I used to have pictures of what Shelby used to do for their parking lot testing. Wish I still did. It would explain a lot.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Bingo. That's *exactly* why tests like what I'm talking about have proven to be so valuable. Does anyone *really* understand WTF he's talking about toward the end of that video? The camera guy asks him a simple question, and he answers it but in a way that is total geekspeak, and that doesn't let me "compare" it to anything. It just is what it is.

I'm talking about bridging that gap. I'm talking about simple tests or graphs or even better, pictures, I can pull up side by side and compare. And then decide what's right for me.

My guess.

Not exactly sure what area represents (or is measured) "displacement" maybe shock shaft travel?? I imagine those "displacement" number mentioned are pretty small (when compared to going through a whoop section) since he made it sound like they were standard numbers Ford tests on all the vehicles. Probably for more normal comfort driving.

"In phase" meaning simulating hitting a bump straight on. "Out of phase" meaning simulating hitting a bump at an angle.

I like the idea/topic though. Need someway to measure these shocks real world that people can look at and understand. The Raptor should have built in accelerometers for the stability system; both horizontal and vertical. Some vehicles you can view this live data, but I'm not sure on the Raptor, I'll have to look.