IC Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a delicate balance. In Gen 1 EcoBoost trucks, the intercooler was so efficient that water would condense and build up in intercooler. When the customer would accelerate aggressively, the moisture was drawn into the engine and caused sputtering and misfires. Ford had to release a TSB to resolve the issue. All systems have a targeted temperature range for ideal (emissions, fuel economy, performance) operation. My guess would be that the PCM grille shutter strategy is designed to keep charge temps within a specific threshold, hence the shutter movement that was observed. Personally, I’d prefer to have full airflow across the CAC regardless of conditions.

I can’t believe the average customer wouldn’t appreciate bonus unintended water injection!

Bluto

Reaction score
what method did you use to mount the plate to the side? Did you just screw it through the plastic piece? I've seen a couple methods and am trying to find the best one.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this before today, some really interesting information. I wonder if being in PA, I would still be best to leave the shutters in place? I'd hate to have my truck taking the occasional drink of water.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have to wonder if drilling a lot of small holes, maybe 1/4" dia. spaced a 1/2" apart, in all the shutters might be the best of both worlds by still blocking some air when closed yet allowing much more air to pass through.

Might not be worth the trouble considering you'd have to drill a lot of holes.

FFCJ

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this in mod in colder climates, like with winter in Colorado (cold, snow, etc)? Thanks

ChinookDriverJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read if you live in cold and or wet climates removing the shutters may be a bad idea. Condensation can form and cause lots of issues. I mean you’re taking a ton of air volume and compressing it which normally would make it hotter and therefore expand with the same amount of moisture in that volume of air. Now super cool it (beyond the design of the IC because of no shutters) and you have to potential to cool off that air until it’s saturated and get liquid water, instead of vapor, in your intake. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk