IC Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual intercooler shutter strategy Ford put into place?

Would like to know specific parameters for there functionality. If for say one were to disconnect the plug from the shutter motor. Would this trigger a CEL? Or log a significant code?

I can certainly see the reason for the shutters in certain cold climates. But are they more than useless in a very warm climate? Are they closed when running at higher speeds, etc?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The purpose of the shutters it to warm the engine and transmission as quickly as possible, manage powertrain temperatures during operation, and improve aerodynamics.

Disconnecting the shudder electrical connection will result in a DTC in the PCM, but will not set any warning lights.

Here is the operation of the system from the WSM:

NOTE: The upper and lower active grille shutter actuators operate independently from each other and transmit/receive unique commands to/from the PCM. Each active grille shutter actuator reports unique Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

The PCM communicates the desired position (open, closed or in between) of the active grille shutter systems. The upper active grille shutter control is based on various PCM inputs (vehicle speed, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, A/C system pressure, etc.). If equipped, the lower active grille shutter control is dedicated to managing charge air temperature into the turbocharger, and is based on PCM inputs such as vehicle speed, turbo charge pressure, ambient temperature, charge air temperature, etc.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The purpose of the shutters it to warm the engine and transmission as quickly as possible, manage powertrain temperatures during operation, and improve aerodynamics.

Disconnecting the shudder electrical connection will result in a DTC in the PCM, but will not set any warning lights.

Here is the operation of the system from the WSM:

NOTE: The upper and lower active grille shutter actuators operate independently from each other and transmit/receive unique commands to/from the PCM. Each active grille shutter actuator reports unique Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

The PCM communicates the desired position (open, closed or in between) of the active grille shutter systems. The upper active grille shutter control is based on various PCM inputs (vehicle speed, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, A/C system pressure, etc.). If equipped, the lower active grille shutter control is dedicated to managing charge air temperature into the turbocharger, and is based on PCM inputs such as vehicle speed, turbo charge pressure, ambient temperature, charge air temperature, etc.

Well explained. Now in regards to the IC shutters, except for cold start warm up or higher speed cruise. In a warm climate I wouldn’t otherwise see the need for them to close. Coming off a highway drive and stopping at a light, does allow the IC to heat soak rather quickly. I would say. So it’s a trade off of keeping the IC cooler at highway speeds, vs better aerodynamics and mileage I gather.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well explained. Now in regards to the IC shutters, except for cold start warm up or higher speed cruise. In a warm climate I wouldn’t otherwise see the need for them to close. Coming off a highway drive and stopping at a light, does allow the IC to heat soak rather quickly. I would say. So it’s a trade off of keeping the IC cooler at highway speeds, vs better aerodynamics and mileage I gather.
By FTO`s explanation it sounds like they purely work off of the signals sent to them, why would you think they would close up after a highway run coming to a stop? I would think the opposite would happen allowing more air in since it is running hot. IMO

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If it's warm enough, they wouldn't close. Nor cause heat soak at a stop light. They only close when the PCM deems it necessary, therefore there is no reason to unplug them unless they aren't functioning properly and you should have them checked.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
By FTO`s explanation it sounds like they purely work off of the signals sent to them, why would you think they would close up after a highway run coming to a stop? I would think the opposite would happen allowing more air in since it is running hot. IMO

Maybe I was not clear enough. But yes I would more expect them to close on the highway and open after coming off and stopping. But being closed on the highway would not allow for extra forced cooling and once you come to that stop and sit, it always seems like the heat catches up. Hence the IC gets hot pretty fast. I’m not sure what the trade off in mileage is with them closing vs keeping the IC constantly as cool as possible. I’m in a very warm climate.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I was not clear enough. But yes I would more expect them to close on the highway and open after coming off and stopping. But being closed on the highway would not allow for extra forced cooling and once you come to that stop and sit, it always seems like the heat catches up. Hence the IC gets hot pretty fast. I’m not sure what the trade off in mileage is with them closing vs keeping the IC constantly as cool as possible. I’m in a very warm climate.
Got ya` I would ask the guys on here who have removed their shutters or the ones that have with upgraded IC`s will be cooler if they had tried anything like this before upgrading their IC. I`m going to poke around on the net to see if there is any actual results with the shutters vs shutters removed.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The intercooler has a set of fans behind it, so again there really isn't any heat to worry about at stoplights. If you're looking for justification to unplug them, then unplug them.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would like to also see real world results with shutters functional and deactivated or removed. I don’t like doing junk mods or removing OEM functionality that may be useful or cause side effects. If I lived in a colder climate I would be more worried to mod them. The loss of mileage maybe a small consideration, but I would like to weigh it out.